Buying Advice Required for Very Simple Alarm Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Hope you all had a spiffing Christmas, and are looking forward to celebrating the new year.

We have an old Omnicron alarm system, that only has a contact on the front and back door, no PIRs or any other fancy stuff. The control box hasn't worked for ages, so we haven't used it. I'm off to Afghanistan next month, and would like the Wife to be a secure as possible whilst I'm away, so am looking to replace the control unit with something new.

We live in an upstairs flat, so still only really require the front and back doors to be monitored, unless there's something else you guys could suggest that could be simple and cheap to install to secure other aspects of the flat.

Any advice would be massively appreciated.

Many thanks, and all the best for 2014,

BS...

Sponsored Links
I'll leave the experts to talk about the alarm make, but if you are worried about personal safety I would strongly suggest you include a panic button in a location that she can easily reach at night.
Good luck in Afghanistan, and come back safe!

I'll leave the experts to talk about the alarm make, but if you are worried about personal safety I would strongly suggest you include a panic button in a location that she can easily reach at night.
Good luck in Afghanistan, and come back safe!

Thanks Sally, and that's a great idea. I wonder if that's an actual feature that the unit needs to have, or if it's just another type of 'activator', if you see what I mean?

Cheers,

BS...

Sponsored Links
The Zones of the Veritas 8 are programmable, PA is one of the options if I remember correctly.

The Veritas 8 is a good 'simple' panel, I would look no further. A 7Ah battery is the normal one fitted in this panel

The Zones of the Veritas 8 are programmable, PA is one of the options if I remember correctly.

The Veritas 8 is a good 'simple' panel, I would look no further. A 7Ah battery is the normal one fitted in this panel

Superb, thanks for the advice.

Have a great new years everyone...

BS...

Cheapest option scantronic 9948 panel has on board panic button pretty basic, easy to program and only requires a 2.1ah battery. All the best pal !

Just been looking at our existing alarm box, and it's an AI Omnicron 7000. It hasn't worked for a couple of years, but worked fine before that. I've checked that it's getting a 240v feed, which it is, and the fuse to the right of the empty fuse holder is fine too. But the whole thing seems dead, completely.

AI Omnicron 7000

Does anyone have any idea what sort of things I could test before I rip it off the wall and bin it?

Cheers,

BS...[/img][/url]

Bin it ! They where rubbish when new! I've thrown better panels in the bin, you can get a replacement for sub £50 + vat inc a battery...

Have you checked the output from transformer 15-22v ac disconnect faulty battery for a start (sides bulged ) it may have burnt out the transformer! Is the other fuse under the keypad ribbon ok ?

Hi Sparky,

The transformer output is 17v, and the fuse you can't quite see under the ribbon cable is fine. Time to bin it then.

Cheers,

BS...

It's arrived. I have taken the old one off the wall and taken the following photos before disconnecting everything:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/403006/2014-01-02 18.56.22.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/403006/2014-01-02 18.56.44.jpg

You'll notice on the second one there is a connector block which has the yellow and blue wires going into it. I assume they go in a bit of a 'ring' though all of the contacts and PIRs and PAs and such, which when broken triggers the alarm? Or am I miles off?

Any advice would be great,

BS...

Looks like they have wired the tamper switch to the pa zone, so if you take off the bell cover it sets off the alarm, this is not the correct way to wire it, but if your ok with this that is fine , it depends also what your bellbox is outside, would guess it's an old c type.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back