buzzing coming from mcb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. im after some advice please, i woke up this morning went into my kitchen and turn the 12 50w spotlights on , of which one of them blew straight off and tripped out the mcb , i then flicked the switch back on.

this in turn caused buzzing noise from the unit , i flicked the switch on off but still was there for about 5minutes then stopped /

any ideas on how to fix this problem can i just replace the mcb like for like ?

thanks in advance regards brett

Sponsored Links
With that amount of heat I take it you don't have a cooker in the kitchen you just use the lights :LOL:

MCB's rarely break - I would check the other alternatives before doing a swop.
You say the buzzing is from the MCB - does it disappear when you replace the missing/popped light?

If your MCB is rated at 5 or 6 Amps what is the total wattage on the circuit?

Alternatively you may have a loose wire at the MCB.

Isolate the CU and check the live on the MCB, sounds like the wire could be loose and the 'buzzing' might be arcing between live cable and mcb terminal.

If the cable has arced, you will need to strip back 1cm or so and get back to bright clean copper.

Sponsored Links
@river
hi mate i havent had chance to change the bulb as i left to go work but the buzzing had stopped after 5minutes when it had 1st blown so irl have to check once im home with a new bulb

not to sure of wattage etc i forgot to mention im no electrician.its on a two way circuit where 2 sets of 6 hence not the need for the 12 on at all times :D ,i just thought if it was replacing the mcb like for like i would do it otherwise id call a friend whos a sparky to come look when he has time

it tripped the mcb last week but that was when the light on the landing which is a 3x low wattage spotlight blew a bulb not sure if it left the mcb buzzing as i was not home at the time.

@ chris thanks for the help ,sounds like something worth checking over to make sure

@taylor thanks dude ;) no wonder u have so many post counts keep up the good work i guess you know the size of everyones rooms or do most ppl only have one light who earn a reply from your knowledge

once i got home and placed a new bulb in , it was still in working or no buzzing etc,
the CU is a Clipsal and the mcb is 6a if this helps me ? :(

once i got home and placed a new bulb in , it was still in working or no buzzing etc,
the CU is a Clipsal and the mcb is 6a if this helps me ? :(

Sorry - has it stopped buzzing now you have replaced the bulb?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back