By law,do I need to use an electrician to install my cooker?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of assembling/installing a new replacement kitchen and when it comes to installing the appliances, specifically, a new electrcic oven, gas hob and electric chimney extractor:

1. Do I need to use a certificated electrician to install the oven or can I do it myself and not break the law/regulations?

2. I will use a corgi registerd plumber to plumb in my gas hob

3. I plan to fit the extractor myself

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Some separate ovens now have a 13A plug. Is this the case with yours or is it more powerful than 3000W? And if it does have a plug is there a local 13A socket? If it is over 3000W is there a local 30A cooker radial connection point/switch?
Are you replacing the extractor and is there a FSU point already in or do you plan to fit one from scratch?

To connect a new cooker to an existing circuit, without changing the fixed wiring you can do it, and not notify anyone.
To add a new circuit or change the fixed wiring in the wall of a kitchen or bathroom, you either should employ a member of a self certification scheme, or do it yourself and notify building control office, who may inspect your work before/ after you complete it. They will charge for this.

The cooker (on order) is from B&Q and is the Whrilpool pack of all 3 appliances for £507. It is a basic oven; model G2P62F and I am not sure if it comes with a plug or not. It is to be integrated into the kitchen unit and is not freestanding. I am not sure if the current cooker is plugged directly into the wall but there is an isolator switch on the wall that enables you to tunr it on or off.

My curent extractor has a plug and is plugged into the existing plug socket. There is no isolation switch for the extractor.

Thanks for the quick reply - look forward to your advice :)

Sponsored Links
If you want to be re-using the existing cooker circuit, then you disconnect it at the wallplate (power off and all that) and connect you rnew cooker there.
You need to tell us the power rating of your new cooker and your old one and we can tell you if the cooker circuit is man enough..
No need to call in a sparks unless it requires up-rating.

I am guessing looking at the cooker on the B&Q site that it will come with a plug and as long as you can just plug the cooker, extractor and of course the gas hobs ignitor into standard 13A sockets then away you go.
I think this is the way they are going for ease of fitting I guess! No spaky's required :eek:

Many thanks for all your help on this - as you can probably guess, I'm new to the world of DIY!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back