c arpet underlay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi gang,

Are there any carpet fitters on here ?

I went to a few carpet shops today to get a price for new carpets for house. I was amazed that the flaming underlay was just has expensive as the carpet.

I have since searched and found sources of underlay at a third of what the big shed's want, my question is, we had cloud 9 fitted in the new extension some months ago and it does feel nice when you walk on it but the sheds are trying to sell me Duralay for £9.99 a square meter.

Whats the best ? is there really a difference between rubber, and the foam stuff

cheers

Sponsored Links
diyisfree said:
WTF?

Are there any carpet fitters on here ?
Indubitably.

I went to a few carpet shops today to get a price for new carpets for house. I was amazed that the flaming underlay was just has expensive as the carpet.
Tip: get the non-flaming variety. ;)

I have since searched and found sources of underlay at a third of what the big shed's want, my question is, we had cloud 9 fitted in the new extension some months ago and it does feel nice when you walk on it but the sheds are trying to sell me Duralay for £9.99 a square meter.

Whats the best ? is there really a difference between rubber, and the foam stuff
You gets what you pays for. And if you pay over the Internet, then you rob local businesses - a bit like cr*pping on your own doorstep.

cheers softus that helped a lot. I wouldnt call storeys carpets a local business,

So from what you are saying, i should just bite the bullet and pay whatever they say ? and YOu really would do this wouldnt you, i think not.

You on one today ?

diyisfree said:
I wouldnt call storeys carpets a local business.
Er, OK. :confused:

So from what you are saying, i should just bite the bullet and pay whatever they say ? and YOu really would do this wouldnt you, i think not.
No - if it were me, since you ask, I'd find out what a reasonable price would be and compare it with what they're charging. If it's only a few percent more than I'd pay it to give them the business, and to have someone locally to go back to in the case of any problem.

And if you buy enough products, then you'll have a problem one day.

You on one today ?
Wibble.

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
No - if it were me, since you ask, I'd find out what a reasonable price would be and compare it with what they're charging. If it's only a few percent more than I'd pay it to give them the business, and to have someone locally to go back to in the case of any problem.

If you read the op again, I said I can get the same gear for a third of the price.

In my book a 66% saving is good enough reason to get it

I notice you have posted quite a few negative comments today to various posts

Its not your time of month is it ?

diyisfree said:
If you read the op again, I said I can get the same gear for a third of the price.
Yep - it says that same thing that it said when I read it the first time. :confused:

In my book a 66% saving is good enough reason to get it
Then buy it. But you invited opinions, so I gave you mine, and mine is that I, in your position, would approach a local business and give them the opportunity to get near that low price.

If they can't then I would wonder why, and I might even consider that the low-priced stuff is a poor replica, or stolen, or from factory seconds. If they can then I'd use that local business, even if the price is slightly higher.

I notice you have posted quite a few negative comments today to various posts
I can't see how it's negative to promote a way of supporting your local businesses, which is of no benefit whatsoever to me, but if you find it negative then deal with it. With some psychotherapy perhaps?

Just ask for cloud 9. Duralay is more of a contract underlay which is hard under foot. We retail cloud 9 at 5.99 and 4.99 depending which grade you buy which includes us fitting it. If charging you more than that they selling carpet to cheap and trying to make there money else where.

cheers matty.

I have just ordered cloud 9 Cumulus. I got it for £35.00 per roll (15sq meters per roll)

£105.00 is far better than the £363.55 storeys wanted. I have ordered the carpet from them though and quietly asked the fitter who was in the store to do it as a foreigner :D

Go on softus, now babble about the ethics of getting it done on the side, you know, "well if he cuts it wrong" Your taking money away from local businesses, and so on...

I give up,

I'm all for supporting the little corner shop and so on but most people on here slate the big sheds, and then some support them. unfortunately I can not justify spending hundreds of pounds if i don't have too.

One day when i have load's of money i may well just squander it willy nilly but until that day arrives i'm afraid i will have to be careful with my pennies.

If you two are so concerned with helping local businesses then maybe when you see someone asking for help and advise on here, you should look up a list of suppliers and contractors in the posters area and provide telephone numbers for local contractors for them instead of information on how to do it, and not help to take the bread from the mouths of local trades people and companies.

I know you are only saying your opinion and so am I, but think about what you do on this forum? You provide information to people who cant afford to employ the services of a company/tradesman or simply want to have a go themselves.

Anyway, thats my final word and thanks for the info regarding cloud 9 matty..

diyisfree said:
If you two are so concerned with helping local businesses then maybe when you see someone asking for help and advise on here, you should look up a list of suppliers and contractors in the posters area and provide telephone numbers for local contractors for them instead of information on how to do it, and not help to take the bread from the mouths of local trades people and companies.
Don't be such a pratt.

diyisfree, it's interesting that you're now mocking the very opinion that you invited; it's a perfectly commonplace and reasonable one.

If you're in any way uncomfortable with your buying decision, then it's you who has to deal with that discomfort. I've never suggested that you should pay substantially over the odds for anything, merely a small amount, and I've given my reasons, none of which makes me a pratt.

If you want to disagree, or even discuss and debate those reasons, then do so by all means, but to suggest that I should give out supplier and contractor details instead of giving 'how-to' advice makes you look much more stupid that you evidently are.

And if you say that you've uttered your final word on the subject, then at least have the guts to stand by it.

dont see how having guts as anything to do with shutting up? I would have thought more the ability to bite my tongue and not reply :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back