cabinet door hinges for cab for integrated fridge-freezer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've some work to do to fit integrated fridge freezer doors (the kind where the appliance door has its own hinges and the furniture door has separate ones). Do I actually need cup holes? There are hinges that just screw on to the face of the door, so I wonder if I can use these? Are they adjustable, is that the drawback? Strong enough? I guess people wouldn't drill cup holes if they didn't have to. OTOH, doors to rooms as opposed to kitchen cabinets, don't have cup holes! Any advice please? TIA, Terry

Sponsored Links
Don't your kitchen doors have hinge holes precut,? lay on hinges are not adjustable.

foxhole, thanks for your reply. No the doors don't have holes precut unfortunately. As it turns out I can't use lay on hinges because if I "close" the lay on hinge, i.e. set it as it would be with the door closed (ow that spring's strong!), it sticks out too far from the side panel, around 33 mm. There isn't room for the hinge (with the door closed) and the fridge-freezer in the bay. Cup hinges stick out about 10 mm less and should fit. I am going to have to use cup hinges. Just trying to decide whether it's worth returning the lay on hinges which cost 8 quid for 2 pairs in terms of postage/hassle, or just throw them in the shed for maybe future use somewhere!
So I'll have to cut cup holes. I did one door (for integrated washer/dryer) recently, just using a hand held cordless drill and a Forstner bit. They're about 1 mm proud of where they should be cos we bottled the last mil. The trouble is the centre pointy thing on the Forstner bit sticks out several ml forward of the bit the actually cuts the cup hole, so gets scarily near the other side of the door!! This time I've ordered a Draper drill stand to try to get a cleaner cut.
Regards,
Terry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back