Cable current carrying capacity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What distance would 10mm, 3 core (copper) swa cable carry 8kw of power for without having to increase cable size up to 16mm?
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
What is it being used for?
Where is the cable run?
What is the temperature of the area where it is being run?
Is it being covered in insulation?
What type of SWA are you using?
Why SWA?
Why do you want to know?
If you are using this cable why can't you work it out yourself from the red/green book?

Sponsored Links
What is it being used for?
Where is the cable run?
What is the temperature of the area where it is being run?
Is it being covered in insulation?
What type of SWA are you using?
Why SWA?
Why do you want to know?
If you are using this cable why can't you work it out yourself from the red/green book?
Why is your reply pointlessly rhetorical ?

Why is your reply pointlessly rhetorical ?
As you shound understand, the answers to more than half of riveralt's questions are needed before anyone can answer your question - they're not rhetorical questions at all. If you don't understand that, then one has to wonder whether you should really be contemplating whatever it is that you're contemplating!

Kind Regards, John.

I just assumed that he was happy to have 100% voltage drop, as he had said "carry 8kw of power", which can only mean that he wanted the cable to use 8kW.

So given that, and a voltage of 1kV, we get 28.4km.

Simples.

If you don't understand that, then one has to wonder whether you should really be contemplating whatever it is that you're contemplating!
You should study his body of work here, particularly his posts with questions about 3-phase.

He's clearly one of those people who does not believe that ignorance and incomprehension should be any bar to blundering on.

I just assumed that he was happy to have 100% voltage drop, as he had said "carry 8kw of power", which can only mean that he wanted the cable to use 8kW.
Yes, I realised that must have been your assumption - although I think it probably qualifies as pedanticism, given that we all knew essentially what he meant!

So given that, and a voltage of 1kV, we get 28.4km. Simples.
That explains why I could not reproduce your answer - what made you choose 1kV?

Kind Regards, John.

Yes, I realised that must have been your assumption - although I think it probably qualifies as pedanticism, given that we all knew essentially what he meant!
All?

No - there's at least one person contributing to this thread who doesn't know what he meant.

That explains why I could not reproduce your answer - what made you choose 1kV?
Why not?

It's as good a voltage as any, and his SWA could well be rated for it. And the cable will go further before an increase to 16mm² is needed, which seemed to be important to him.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back