Cable Duct or Voice tube

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A 40 yard duct from kitchen to garden shed not only carried the SWA cable for the power but it also acted a voice tube and allowed sounds from the shed to be heard ( albeit with ear close to duct ) in the kitchen.

No harm to relationships between parent and teenagers was caused by over heard sounds but it opens up ideas for other uses for the humble cable duct

Could one waft the aroma of a bacon and egg breafast along the duct to entice people back to the house ?

Sponsored Links
Could one waft the aroma of a bacon and egg breafast along the duct to entice people back to the house ?
That's a nice invention! :LOL: Although probably not compliant with the latest airtightness regulations. You could hook up the mhrv exhaust to the duct perhaps and get the same effect without heat loss.

Such a thing would also act as an excellent method of rapidly distributing flames and smoke in the event of a fire at either end.

Sponsored Links
No harm to relationships between parent and teenagers was caused by over heard sounds but it opens up ideas for other uses for the humble cable duct
Gotta involve whistles at the ends of the tubes as per old ship engine room comms.

As for relations, I take it you got no herbal tobacco aromas wafting to you? :mrgreen:

It seems to me that them not coming back into the house would be their loss.

You could put in a pneumatic tube as used (still) by some shops (was much more widely used when you were a boy), and use it to send food to the remote location.

You could put in a pneumatic tube as used (still) by some shops (was much more widely used when you were a boy), and use it to send food to the remote location.
One of our shops had a spring operated overhead wire system with small containers whizzing to a central cash desk - oh dear, am I even older than my kids think I am !!

Last edited:
Gotta involve whistles at the ends of the tubes as per old ship engine room comms.

As for relations, I take it you got no herbal tobacco aromas wafting to you? :mrgreen:

It seems to me that them not coming back into the house would be their loss.

Sausages presumably..........

I don't know, perhaps you could stick a low power 24/7 fan on one end to aid natural ventilation :p OR you could juts fill the duct with mouse bait. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back