Cable Entry Above or Below DPC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm running an aerial and satellite cable down the outside of the house, and need to bring it through the external wall into the void under the ground floor.

The house appears to be built on a concrete raft and under the floor I have 6 inch high air bricks sat on top of the raft, then the DPC, then the floor joists are sat almost on top of the DPC up to the floorboards 8 inches higher.

Once the cables are under the floor, they will be routed to where they need to be in the house, and then brought back up through a floorboard or directly behind the plasterboard. For most of their route they will be sat loosely on the concrete raft.

When I'm bringing the cables in, should I bring them in above or below the DPC?

Sponsored Links
At my house, the catenary cable to the garage comes in above the air brick but below the DPC. The hole that it comes through slopes upwards from outside to in so that water cannot enter plus the cable has a drip loop.
However I can't think that it matters if the hole is above or below the DPC in a ventilated suspended floor, so long as you don't bridge it.

IMG20200516121531.jpg

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back