Accessing metal stud wall from below

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm getting Coax cable from an aerial in the loft to under the floor on the second floor of my house. I've picked a stud partition that has no sockets or cables in it and have gained access form above it (in the loft) and below it (using cable access cutter in the floor boards).

However the problem I face is that it seems as through the metal stud partition does not meet the floor as when I look under the floor board there is no entry to the above wall and looking in the stud wall it seems to finish about 2 inches from the floor (just above the skirting).

Therefore I have about 2 inches of blockage between getting the cables accessed

My only thoughts at the moment is try using a flexible drill shaft to drill up into the wall and hopefully through to the stud wall (can this be done) or just use ducting to come out from the wall and into the floor (I hate this idea).

Cheers for any advice,

Gary

Sponsored Links
Chop a lump out the plasterboard 2" wide x 6" above the skirting at the block point.

It could be that the metal base frame for the studwork is sat on a 4"x4" wood base.
Eitherway you will have to drill down, a 200-300mm x 10-12mm multi use drill bit should do, and the "2 x 6" hole should allow decent woring space to get the drill as near vertical as possible.

Thanks for the reply. Yes that was another option. However it is a new build house and the idea of chopping holes out of the plaster board is very scary. I suppose I could place a blanking plate over it or something to cover up the hole.

I have got a single socket hole 45 cm above the floor for a network point so my other option was to use a flexible drive shaft and go in from the top.

Cheers,

Gary

Sponsored Links
Hi,

The problem is that the developer has not left us with any paint (and we have asked) and it is a special mix (not white and not magnolia). Therefore unless I redocorate the entire room then I would need to find another way of covering up the hole :(

Cheers,
Gary

Perhaps you can find a section of wall that has a low level socket on it.
It may have a flush fast fix box that can be easily removed.

You will be nearer the floor and may find it easier to get the cable through the last part of the run. There may be a hole through the floor that you could use.

Alternatively, if you have to make a hole in the wall somewhere make it the size of a single box, and turn it into an extra tv socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back