Metal Stud In Partition Wall For Loft Plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im planning on taking a spur off the landing double socket and feeding this up the partition wall and into a socket in the loft.

Problem is the walls are joined together with a metal C stud which you can see in the loft. I can see where the electricians have cut holes in to them and used a grommet.

I need to cut another hole and use grommets to make way for another cable - is there a particular drill bit for drilling a nice clean hole for more cables.

Sponsored Links
Thanks most of them are for wood but it’s really thin metal so should still go through.

I'd use a series of metal suitable drills then a cone cut.
Normally a cone cut is crap but for thin metal it will be ok and won't tear the metal like a spade will.
Don't forget the grommet.

Or just use a dry lining box if the cable is accessible

Sponsored Links
I'd use a series of metal suitable drills then a cone cut.
Normally a cone cut is crap but for thin metal it will be ok and won't tear the metal like a spade will.
Don't forget the grommet.

Or just use a dry lining box if the cable is accessible
Thanks will have a look into a suitable drill bit definatly don’t want it to tear will look a right mess and it’s really sharp

With a cone bit it will leave a knurl on the opposite side of the hole so this will need dressing before fitting a grommet.
I can't see a spade bit being any use on thin metal.

Even with a holesaw you're best off de-burring the hole before fitting the gromet.

Instead of a grommet, I like to get a short section of 20mm pvc conduit, wind some tape a good few layers thick on the end of it and then push it down into the void in the wall (leave the tail into the wall quite long). It might seem a bit rough, but there is no way any moment will make it jump out, even if you later have to draw another cable through, etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back