What type of rubber grommet do I need for Stud wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am feeding a wire from the loft and need to drill into the metal stud frame from top.

In order to protect the electric cable, what type of grommet should I use?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
So nothing special, i.e. it doesn't need to be made from plastic... can be rubber?
It's just a matter of common sense - anything that protects the cable from potentially sharp metal edges will do.

Grommets are usually rubber o one sort or another. I'm not sure what things with a similar purpose made from plastic are called!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
It might look a little rough, but I'd use an offcut of plastic conduit the same size as the hole, wrap a wide band of tape on it so it is impossible for it to drop through, then below that, put just a couple of layers on where it goes into the hole, so it goes in snuggly and stays (Or I suppose you could aim to create a cone with the tape, if you so desired)

It's just a matter of common sense - anything that protects the cable from potentially sharp metal edges will do.

Grommets are usually rubber o one sort or another. I'm not sure what things with a similar purpose made from plastic are called!

Kind Regards, John
I'd pretty much expect grommets to be plastic these days. example: https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/cable-grommets/1879403?cm_mmc=UK-PLA-DS3A-_-google-_-CSS_UK_EN_Cables_&_Wires_Whoop-_-Cable+Grommets_Whoop-_-1879403&matchtype=&aud-1158510608811:pla-302670674341&gclid=CjwKCAjw69moBhBgEiwAUFCx2A-8ksLbzjbSLcebaTYUvjjYVnRAyxXuOxf2F0udxsr7hO7r3aNfcxoCvysQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

And https://grommetmart.com/product/3-plastic-grommets-and-washers-12mm-15-32-500-sets-3/

You used to be able to buy grommet strip. Bit like a 'U' shaped plastic strip with 'teeth' on the open side. Cut it to the length of the circumference of the hole and feed it around the lip of the hole.

Also sold at other outlets.

I'd pretty much expect grommets to be plastic these days. example:
Fair enough - I'm probably behind the times. I've bought them in such large quantities in the (probably fairly distant) past, that I'm pretty sure that most of the large number in my toolboxes, drawers and shelves are rubber of one sort or another. I also have a fair number of 'hard plastic' things (mainly either 'clip-in' or with a retaining nut) but, as I said, I wouldn't call them grommets - as was suggested, 'bushes' is probably the word.

Kind regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back