Cable Getting Hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i have a all electric house, heaters, cooker, hot water cylinder, showers etc. if all apliances are turned on the thick black cable to the 100amp fuse gets warm to touch. is this normal / safe?

Sponsored Links
Not a problem, mains cables are rated to run at a higher temperature than wiring cables, the weak point may be the fuse carrier getting too warm

And even house wiring cables are expected to get up to 70°C, which would be hot enough to burn, or if not at least make you break contact quickly whilst saying rude words.

Cover something that hot with just a few mm of PVC and it will feel warm.

thanks for your help. an elecritian thought i might need two phases? id hate to have melting cables / fire .

Sponsored Links
I'd report it to your local electricity network as there may be a bad connection at the meter or service intake.

I have no clue about electrics so this is a very uninformed comment, but we had problems with the supply to our house. An electrician who came to investigate pointed out that the incoming cable, and the main fuses, were very hot. (This was not the problem he came to investigate but another symptom). The fault was diagnosed as the incoming cable being too small and also the wrong specification cable. This cable was changed and now everything is cold.

An all-electric house will use a lot (what exactly do you have?) so the 2 phase suggestion could well have been valid. You can get an energy meter for about £30 which you clip on to one of the tails and it has a remote display which tells you how much you are using. If you don't already have a 100A fuse in the service head (there is no way for you to check this for certain without calling out the DNO) then you should definitely see about getting the supply upgraded.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back