Cable Gland reducers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to feed a couple of small diameter cables (one 230V, the other 12V) into an IP55 enclosure. The cables ODs are too small for M20 glands, but M12 glands would do. Problem is that I can't find any IP55 enclosures of the right size that have anything smaller than M20 knock-outs and I don't want to try drilling my own M12 holes as (1) I don't have a suitable drill anyway and so (2) I'm reluctant to risk splitting the box.

I've come across M20/M16 reducers (which seem to cost even more than the complete glands!), but not any M20/M12 - do they exist anywhere please? If not, any other suggestions on how best to do this please?

Sponsored Links
you could increase the cable diameter by over sleeving a section with heat shrink a couple or more times

edit cef do a m20 t0 m16 plastic reducer for 58p
>>>you could increase the cable diameter by over sleeving a section with heat shrink a couple or more times....

I have done that sort of thing before, but with a cable that was much bigger OD but not quite enough for a M20.

Thanks for the link to CEF - maybe a good compromise will be a couple of those with a couple of M16 glands .

If the cable is just under the size for the M20 then the M16 should work well.

Sponsored Links
>>>you could increase the cable diameter by over sleeving a section with heat shrink a couple or more times....

I have done that sort of thing before, but with a cable that was much bigger OD but not quite enough for a M20.

Thanks for the link to CEF - maybe a good compromise will be a couple of those with a couple of M16 glands .
If you;re going to CEF; simply ask for stuffing glands with a small hole. I've regularly sourced 20mm glands for 3mm cable from most wholesalers.

If you;re going to CEF; simply ask for stuffing glands with a small hole. I've regularly sourced 20mm glands for 3mm cable from most wholesalers.
Thanks for the advice.

Space constraints suggest that the IP55 enclosure may have to be mounted with the long axis vertical/ That's not a problem except that the 'bottom' end only has one M20 knock-out for the two cables coming up from below.

My thought therefore is to fit a female M20 conduit adaptor and a short length of 20mm conduit going downwards (both of which I have anyway), then run both cables up the conduit with a divider between them (to separate the 230V and 12V SELV) and put a nice large plug of silicone sealer into the top end of the conduit. That ought to be adequate (?) and avoids the need to source stuffing glands and find a replacement box with 2 x knock-outs in the end. Any possible issues?

What is the job you're doing?

At some point both cables are going into the same enclosure who is to say where the enclosure starts.

There is of course the point you have inadvertently raised, you could simply drill 2 holes in the enclosure, say about 3mm bigger than the cables then fill/seal round with silicon. All you would have to do is ensure they are secure, ie with cable clips.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back