Cable gland that will accept cable with larger diameter pre-fitted RJ45 plug...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fitting a ReoLink security cam system at home and one of the cameras needs to be mounted on the wall, just under the rear upstairs window. The camera (PoE) is pre-wired with a female RJ45 socked, so I want to run a cat6 cable down the wall from the loft into a junction box on the wall, then feed the camera cable into the junction box where they'll be connected. As it's an outside camera, the junction box is watertight (IP66) and therefore where the cables enter the junction box also needs to be watertight as well.

I've got some M20 cable glands (https://amzn.eu/d/ec3K2To) but the problem is the hole in them isn't big enough to take the RJ45 ethernet plug from the camera:

ReoLink_2.jpg

The RJ45 ethernet socket is about 18mm in diameter, but the hole in the gland is about 12mm, so there isn't a cat in hell's chance of getting it through.

Are there any kind of cable glands available that might be able to handle this? I did find some split cable glands online (that open out so you can lay the cable in them, then snap them shut, without needing to push the socket through), which would be ideal but there don't seem to be any for a single ethernet cable that fit into a 20mm hole in the junction box.

Would greatly appreciate any suggestions...

Sponsored Links
The RJ45 ethernet socket is about 18mm in diameter, but the hole in the gland is about 12mm, so there isn't a cat in hell's chance of getting it through. .... Are there any kind of cable glands available that might be able to handle this? I did find some split cable glands online (that open out so you can lay the cable in them, then snap them shut, without needing to push the socket through), which would be ideal but there don't seem to be any for a single ethernet cable that fit into a 20mm hole in the junction box.
There are big ones out there, but you would probably then have to do something to deal with the fact that, if it is big enough for the plug to go through, it will be far too bit to seal onto the cable. For example, this 40mm one from CEF (click here) - which, as you can see, is said to have a 'cable entry' of 22 - 32mm.

1680232256406.png

1680232305842.png

Kind Regards, John

Thanks John...but yes, it looks like that's only suitable for 22-32mm canoe...cat6 is about 6mm!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I did find some split cable glands online (that open out so you can lay the cable in them, then snap them shut, without needing to push the socket through), which would be ideal but there don't seem to be any for a single ethernet cable that fit into a 20mm hole in the junction box.
Then get un-split ones the correct size and split them yourself.

As it's an outside camera, the junction box is watertight (IP66) and therefore where the cables enter the junction box also needs to be watertight as well.
Enter the cable at the bottom of the box so it does not have to be 100% watertight.

And if you want to make sure a junction box is waterproof you could use this stuff

Thanks John...but yes, it looks like that's only suitable for 22-32mm canoe...cat6 is about 6mm!
Yes, but that's a problem you will inevitably have - if a gland is big enough for the plug to go through, it almost certainly will be too big to tighten/seal onto the cable - so you'll have to 'seal' it somehow yourself - even if only with silicone.

Kind Regards, John

Then get un-split ones the correct size and split them yourself.
That's fine for the 'sealing ring' (I'm sure that most of us have done that with grommets) - but the hard plastic (threaded) moulding would also have to be split (to get plug through), after which I suppose one would have to try to glue it back together (leaving the thread 'cable').

Kind Regards, John

I got about 50 old 35mm film cans from a local photo processers. They had hundreds and as far as they were concerned I could have taken them all. So find your local one and go in and ask.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back