Running multiple cables through brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Im looking to install 4 PoE CCTV cameras outside. Running the ethernet cable to the loft is more work as I don't have an easy way of then running cable to the router downstairs in the lounge. Instead, thought to run each PoE cable from each camera externally and all 4 then enter through brick cavity wall in the lounge. Wondering what options I have to do this and any advice if others have experiences of this:

- For the inside, would you recommend running all cables uninterrupted through a brush plate vs a 4 port ethernet socket (jf I have the space)?

- How big a hole is needed and conduit or not?

- Will the cables exit through a gromet or some type of box?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I understand the access problems, I have floors which I can't get under, so have the same problem. I have at one point put conduit with idea of running cables, still in process of being done. But in the mean time I have used SkyQ boxes to get internet, There are many other wireless methods, as well as powering with LAN cables you can do the reverse and send LAN through power cables.

It is all down to selecting best method for your property.

I ran a long length of (IIRC) Cat5e cable round the outside of my last house, just using silicone or acrylic sealant around the exit hole. Just made a cable-sized hole; no conduit or anything (but solid not cavity wall). Of course that meant I couldn't use a cable with a pre-fitted plug, or rather I could have but only with a much larger hole in the wall. Internally I had the cable terminate in an ethernet socket on a surface mounted backbox, using a patch cable beyond that. I did make sure to use cable rated for external use; again IIRC it had a sticky substance inside the sheath, to prevent water ingress. Worked fine for several years and was fine when I left. I have wired my current house internally with Cat 6 cable, which is much stiffer and requires shallower bends.

I think a simple cable is straightforward, but I’m how it’s best done if I have 4 external Cat cables to run through the wall. Only option I can think of is drilling a huge hole unless anyone knows differently, but wanting to do it in the neatest way possible.

Sponsored Links
Depends what you call huge.

If these dimensions are correct:

1699617473348.png

Then:

1699617403934.png

I have used 7mm. for 6.5 for a bit of leeway.

Looks like there would be enough room for a 20mm hole at the sides (where the very very badly drawn circles are!!!)
View attachment 333660

mods!! I have replied to the wrong post could you move it please. Ta,

If they wanted to comply with your request, they would probably need to know where to move it TO !
Good point! Should go in this one
how I managed to reply in the wrong thread I don't know? Perhaps it's my age!......

Good point! Should go in this one ...
Thanks.
how I managed to reply in the wrong thread I don't know? Perhaps it's my age!......
Maybe you're a similar age to me, since I've also somehow managed to do the same occasionally, but have no idea how ;)

As you probably know, although us mere forum members cannot move, or remove, our posts, in your position one can copy and paste it into a new message 'where it should be', and then (by 'editing') delete the entirety of the text of the incorrect message, replacing that text with a full stop or two, or whatever!

Kind Regards, John

FWIW I've just run 3 cat 5s (Not cat 6) with plugs through a 20mm lightweight plactic conduit. These are the basic plugs without any fancy boots etc and it required very carefull positioning/controlling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back