Best/neatest way to wire CCTV camera

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, would really appreciate some advice...

I've bought a CCTV camera and assumed it would just work off mains power, so was going to create a spur and chase the cable, but it is POE ethernet cable, which connects to an injector (I believe that's what it's called). This then connects to an adapter.

I've attached a couple of pictures of what I have, plus where I want to mount it- so on the external wall in this corner above the patio door- i.e. outdoors so will drill a hole straight through. The router is right there, so I don't need to run ethernet and the camera is wifi enabled.

I can't quite work out how best to chase the cable for this? What I was thinking was extending the RJ45 cable and chasing this into the wall, and then it would just exit nearer the existing socket and I can get a cable cover plate? Then I have the injector/adapter near the floor where I can hide it with a bit of furniture.

Everything is getting redecorated and I really don't like visible cables. Can anyone advise if there are better/easier options?

Attachments

• 056E9B26-A440-4B11-A494-001683F3CA73.jpeg
    056E9B26-A440-4B11-A494-001683F3CA73.jpeg
    578.2 KB · Views: 133
  • 1329F1DE-79DB-489F-A462-5415FC90BB2B.jpeg
    1329F1DE-79DB-489F-A462-5415FC90BB2B.jpeg
    239.2 KB · Views: 113
Sponsored Links
Hi,

I'm also someone who likes wiring hidden, or very neat!

Personally, I would run the network cable tucked in between the skirting and the carpet (possibly even remove the skirting and running it behind?), exiting through a very small hole in the patio door frame.
To fit the cable through the hole, I would cut the RJ45 connector off and re-terminate (a cheap crimping kit is about £5)!

But that's just one idea, there are sure to be others! :)

You can put the injector at the hub/router end of the Ethernet cable, it doesn't have to be up by the camera.

Hi,

I'm also someone who likes wiring hidden, or very neat!

Personally, I would run the network cable tucked in between the skirting and the carpet (possibly even remove the skirting and running it behind?), exiting through a very small hole in the patio door frame.
To fit the cable through the hole, I would cut the RJ45 connector off and re-terminate (a cheap crimping kit is about £5)!

But that's just one idea, there are sure to be others! :)

Thanks. Only thing I forgot to mention- I'd ideally like all the cabling in the wall/internally so it really needs to come through the back of where I mount the camera...

Sponsored Links
You can put the injector at the hub/router end of the Ethernet cable, it doesn't have to be up by the camera.

That was my plan...so just was thinking of chasing the RJ45 cable into the wall, coming out near the bottom and then could just plug in injector nearer floor level.

Is it possible to get some kind of substitute device that would act as the transformer that I can wire in i.e. cut the POE cable and form some kind of connection to this that I can conceal in a recessed back box (disregarding the ethernet wires as these I don't need), then chase a normal power cable into the wall to a fused spur switch which is connected to the mains?

Is it possible to get some kind of substitute device that would act as the transformer that I can wire in i.e. cut the POE cable and form some kind of connection to this that I can conceal in a recessed back box (disregarding the ethernet wires as these I don't need), then chase a normal power cable into the wall to a fused spur switch which is connected to the mains?

IF the camera supports standard PoE (802.3xx) as opposed to using some system of its own, (you would need to check this, some cheaper devices don't) then you can use any standard PoE device to power it.
e.g. this network switch will power up to 4 PoE devices simultaneously. https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/24559-netgear-gs308p-100uks/

Also, I'd suggest it's the wifi antenna you don't need. If there is an option to go for a wired ethernet connection instead of wifi, always use it. It's faster, more reliable and more secure.

Doesn't look like any sort of 802.3xx to me, it's not even passive PoE. That wall wart looks to be injecting 5v or 9v (Can't make it out). DO NOT plug this into a PoE switch, looks like a cheap device and probably has no protection built in.
Like Robin0577 suggested, if you can cable it to the router, do that and power it with the supplied wart and injector.

Do you have curtain track by that window?
You’d save a lot of hassle if you have long curtains over the window

Doesn't look like any sort of 802.3xx to me, it's not even passive PoE. That wall wart looks to be injecting 5v or 9v (Can't make it out). DO NOT plug this into a PoE switch, looks like a cheap device and probably has no protection built in.
Like Robin0577 suggested, if you can cable it to the router, do that and power it with the supplied wart and injector.
Agreed, at 5V, 1.5A.... probably not a very good PoE injector! ;)

Screenshot_20211229-172245_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

That is generally very good advice and I wouldn't recommend plugging anything in without checking.

However, the reason I didn't give the warning is that all proper PoE switches, including the Netgear one in the link, employ handshaking and do not give power until they detect a valid PoE device on the other end of the cable, it's part of the PoE specification that they must do this. The non compliant camera would therefore be safe from damage although of course it wouldn't work. It is worth warning that there are some cheap non compliant PoE devices that give power all the time though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back