Conduit cable exit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just a quick question.

I'm setting up a external wireless IP camera, which requires 5v power.

As I don't have a socket close, I need to run it in conduit. This will come from inside the garage and up about 1.5m and exit the conduit.

I will be feeding it directly through the wall in 20mm conduit, into the back of a 1 way round junction box, up another length of conduit into another 1 way round junction box.

I would then like to bring the cable out the front of the junction box, which will then go to the ip camera. But how?

Thanks,
Adam

EDIT:
Ok, so after more searching it appears you can exit the cables via flexy conduit to the back of a camera. Like this:

As the conduit will end at the back of the camera, and not gland into it in anyway, how would I made the conduit water tight? Tape?

Or is there a totally different way?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If the cable entry to the camera is a 20mm knockout, you can get screw-in nylon glands which, when tightened up, will be waterproof.

PJ

Hi, the camera doesn't have a knockout or anything.

Its an IP camera, and the cables just come out the back.

Cheers.

Sounds like it's a cheap camera not made with proper thought, by someone who knows what they are doing, given to the fact that it's going to be outside.

How long is the 5V power lead?

Sponsored Links
Run the conduit up the wall, fit on a straight through box, cut a 2" piece of conduit and fit to the box, then a stuffing gland sized to the cable you will be using. You can then trim the cable and put a connection in the box. Make sure you use a waterproof seal on the box and weld all the joints.

I thought the problem was the glanding of flexible conduit to the camera?

Surely the box issue is simple? Have both entries at the bottom, and a drip loop on the cable from the camera?

Thanks for all the replies.

So, would this be ok? :LOL:

Obviously I will take the conduit higher up and to the side of the camera.

Also, what's the correct term for these type of glands? I'm not having much luck with the screwfix website lol.

Thanks,
Adam

Lets hope the cam is sited away from any steelwork.
The plasterboards are not foil lined.

If true IP why not use POE to run it, or is it a cheapie?

Apparently it's a wireless camera that still needs a wire for the power supply. Can't see the point of that at all.

It most likely was obtained in a DIY shop and produces images which are so poor, you wouldn't even recognise yourself in the video, never mind anyone else.

Apparently it's a wireless camera that still needs a wire for the power supply. Can't see the point of that at all.

It most likely was obtained in a DIY shop and produces images which are so poor, you wouldn't even recognise yourself in the video, never mind anyone else.
Can't see any point in your post either tbh.

How do you expect to power any wireless camera in this case then? Batteries?

Thanks for all the replies.

So, would this be ok? :LOL:

Obviously I will take the conduit higher up and to the side of the camera.
I'd suggest using a box like this:

CO20BXUG.JPG

so that the gland is facing downwards. Take the cable out, and then have it bend and run up to the camera, thus forming a drip loop.

Thanks BAS, great suggestion!

Does the gland screw into the thread then?

I was planning on using plastic conduit, as it will be pretty high up out of arms reach. Is this still possible to do? As I'm pretty sure the plastic U box's don't have thread.

Thanks,
Adam

Thanks BAS, great suggestion!

Does the gland screw into the thread then?

I was planning on using plastic conduit, as it will be pretty high up out of arms reach. Is this still possible to do? As I'm pretty sure the plastic U box's don't have thread.

Thanks,
Adam

Plastic boxes do not have thread. The box BAS showed you do and the gland screws straight in. That is why he suggested it.

Use a plastic conduit adaptor like THIS for the conduit connection. Add front plate and rubber seal. Job done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back