Sleeving single insulated cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing single insulated cables into an old conduit system. Some of the cables need to exit the conduit to go to a junction box at one point. Could anyone tell me the most suitable sleeving to use to double insulate the cables? I'll need about 6 to 10mm diameter sleeve,

Thank you,

Barry

Sponsored Links
You could use flexible conduit glanded into one of the ports of a conduit T-box, but then you'd have the problem of what to do at the JB end.

What type of JB is it? (i.e. how many ways, what rating?).

What's the application? What is the circuit for?

Could you put a conduit T box inline with choc-block inside and take T/E out through a compression gland?

depending on how many cables you are dealing with time vs material costs etc, you could consider running double sheathed singles, although not required for the conduit parts it will solve the problem for the runs outside of the conduit.

Thank you for those replies.

The conduit is old 16mm steel stuff running lighting circuits, so I can't gland onto it. It's too small to run double sheathed cable in some parts. The junction boxes are 4 terminal 20 Amp.

Barry

Sponsored Links
personally I would say the best answer is not to use junction boxes designed for sheathed cable but instead to join the conduit to an adaptable box and make your connections in there. Unfortunately I don't think 16mm conduit fittings are easilly availible anymore.

But you can get 20-16 reducers, so all Barry needs to do is to get a 16mm die, cut sections out of the conduit, thread the ends, screw on the reducers and use 20mm fittings.

It's not like it would be a lot of work, or anything....

Thank you again.

I have used flexible conduit and connected directly into some of the conduit boxes by cutting 20mm holes in them. Seems to be ok.

The adaptable boxes I got had 5 terminal screw connectors in them. I expect sparks normally use these, but they don't meet the 17th when located under the floor (mine are) because they're not "maintenance free". I use Wago push connectors instead, which may be maintenance free, who knows?

I thought of the old practice of twisting wires together and putting them in screw terminals. Seems to me this is pretty much "maintenance free" as I've come across 70 year old such ones which are still reliable. Should we return to this method and state it doesn't need testing as it's "maintenance free"??

No.

It doesn't comply with BS7671, and that's the standard we work to.

You can't pick and choose which regulations you comply with just because it suits you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back