Extractor Fan Installation

SBW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am about to install a Vent Axia extractor fan model VA100XT in the toilette, however the instructions state:

“It is recommended that the connection to the fan connector terminals is made with flexible cable”

I am aware that flexible 3core and earth is manufactured, but as I only need a very small quantity of this cable and as I am trying to avoid unnecessary expense and as the fan is double insulated, would it be bad practise to use 5amp flexible round mains cable with the neutral and earth conductors sleeved with black and grey cable sleeving?

If this practise is acceptable can anyone recommend a supplier of small quantities of black and grey sleeving?

Thanks
Barry

Sponsored Links
Not permitted to oversleeve the green/yellow earth.
Even if it was, why would you want grey and black sleeving?

• Thanks
Reactions: SBW
Get yourself to any wholesaler and buy the cable you need by-the-metre... will be cheap as chips and easier than trying to locate tiddly bits o sleeving...

• Thanks
Thanks to the following posters for their informative and helpful replies:

flameport
(a) Very important info. ref. the oversleeving of the earth conductor.
(b) I thought sleeving would correctly indicate the Switched Live, Permanent Live, and the Neutral conductors.

The Gay Owl
Wasn’t aware that a wholesaler would sell such piffling amounts, anyhow thanks for the good news

Barry

Sponsored Links
Buy a metre of four core flex

Not permitted to oversleeve the green/yellow earth.

Not something i have ever done and also remove it and fit four core when i do see it

But does the regs actually forbid doing this with flex, im not sure it does

I don't understand why you can't use 3 core and earth? Rather than flex..

514.4.2 is the regulation regarding green/yellow identification.
Also 514.4.3 regarding PEN conductors, where both green/yellow and blue markings would be used.

Switched line, line and neutral would be coloured brown, brown and blue - so black and grey sleeving would have no use there.

The most likely reason why flex is specified is the terminals are mounted on a PCB and would be liable to damage if solid core wire was used - any slight movement of the cable would result in that force being transferred to the PCB and cracking/breakage might result.

If you really can't buy any 4 core flex, another option is to take 3C&E cable to the fan, connect into a separate terminal block and use 3 short pieces of flex to join those terminals to the fan PCB terminals.

The most likely reason why flex is specified is the terminals are mounted on a PCB and would be liable to damage if solid core wire was used - any slight movement of the cable would result in that force being transferred to the PCB and cracking/breakage might result.

The terminals inside the fan is terminal block with cores leaving and going to the PCB, not actual terminals on the PCB!

• Thanks
333rocky333 and xr4x4 thanks for taking the trouble to answer my post, most appreciated.

flameport, thanks for the explanation and the innovative solution.

Vibrobullit407 good analysis, so 3C&E it is!

What a forum!!!
Barry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back