Installing steel conduit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently moved into a house with a couple of sockets attached to the loft wall. The cables run from under the floor and up the wall to the sockets. I thought that it might be an idea to stick them into some steel conduit to offer them some protection. What is the accepted way for the cable to enter and exit the conduit without chaffing on the edge on the way out? I note one usually uses a rubber grommet on the entry/exit to a backbox but I've failed to locate something similar as a 20mm conduit accessory.

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds";p="2255562 said:
ekmdgrf";p="2255555 said:
I thought that it might be an idea to stick them into some steel conduit to offer them some protection.
Protection against what?

Wear and tear. It's a boarded out loft so stuff gets thrown up there, moved around, etc. Maybe they're OK as they are, they just seems a little exposed to me.

I note one usually uses a rubber grommet on the entry/exit to a backbox but I've failed to locate something similar as a 20mm conduit accessory.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Conduit_Steel_Index/20mm_Conduit_Fittings/index.html[/quote]

Thanks for the link. Excuse my ignorance but which one should one use?

Sponsored Links
A female bush, or a straight coupler and a male bush. The latter is probably preferable.

And for going into a box :

A female bush and backnut screwed directly onto the conduit. Screw nut onto conduit, insert through box, screw on female bush, tighten nut.

or a coupler and a male bush. Screw coupler onto conduit, put bush through box from inside, screw into coupler - it's fiddly to get a standard spanner in, someone doing it for a living might have a spacial spanner for this.

I'm with those suggesting plastic. It's a darn sight easier to work with, and if you are throwing stuff about in the loft that plastic conduit is not up to the job then I think you may have other issues to worry about :eek:

someone doing it for a living might have a spacial spanner for this
Even if not doing it for a living, who can resist the lure of more special tools?

:D

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Spanner

It's probably an urban legend, but I heard somewhere that it was called "Spanner" because according to one policeman, "watching the videos made your nuts tighten up".

It does sound to good to be true, and some years later I read that police operations were given randomly assigned codenames which could not bear any relation to what the operation was about and thus give the game away if the name became known.

And for going into a box :

A female bush and backnut screwed directly onto the conduit. Screw nut onto conduit, insert through box, screw on female bush, tighten nut.

Then wait to be sacked.
Unlikely, why would I sack myself ? Seen it done plenty enough in "professional" jobs.

I guess the best way is with a flanged coupler and male bush (or does a flanged coupler come with a flanged bush) ?

I would not be happy at all with a female bush and lock ring.

As for bush spanners, don't bother wasting your money on them.

There's so little brass in bushes these days these type dont fit
images

And the type ban linked to will just break the buses before they are tight.

There's so little brass in bushes these days these type dont fit
images
Ah, I recall a friend of mine handing me one of those and asking "do you know what that is ?" Other than being some sort of special spanner I didn't know - until he told me, and then I did :)

I don't think I've done any metal conduit, except possibly when I was an apprentice in the shipyard which was <quite a while> ago and I don't recall much of it. I don't recall doing any, but I do recall making cable ways (flat bar with flat bends) and banding cables in place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back