Oval Conduit Sizes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am embedding existing surface mounted conduit circuit into wall due to decorating. Can the existing 2 cables of a circuit 2.5mm be put into oval conduit? does it need to be 1 cable per piece of conduit? If so what size is appropriate? Also do you need to put in backboxes with oval cutouts (if there is a such a thing) so conduit goes into the backbox, or use standard ones and squash the oval to round at entry point? and does it then still need a rubber grommet?
Advise again please.... :)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I am embedding existing surface mounted conduit circuit into wall due to decorating. Can the existing 2 cables of a circuit 2.5mm be put into oval conduit? does it need to be 1 cable per piece of conduit? If so what size is appropriate? Also do you need to put in backboxes with oval cutouts (if there is a such a thing) so conduit goes into the backbox, or use standard ones and squash the oval to round at entry point? and does it then still need a rubber grommet?
Advise again please.... :)

Thanks

You again.

No need for conduit, but I really recommend it, as so very useful if you need to alter the wiring in the future. It's cheap enough anyway.

Plastic oval conduit is fine. It's also fine to run more than one cable in the same conduit.

It's fine to use a box with circular cable entries with oval conduit, assuming you are using regular 'twin and earth' cable.

Use grommets.

You don't have to have the conduit entering the box, but you should line up the conduit nicely with the box.

With nice new, straight cable, its possible to get 2x 2.5mm T+E in 20mm oval conduit.

I would then hold the conduit into the wall securely using a few 16mm t+e cable clips.

With nice new, straight cable, its possible to get 2x 2.5mm T+E in 20mm oval conduit.

I would then hold the conduit into the wall securely using a few 16mm t+e cable clips.

Use the next size up oval conduit. It makes it so much easier, especially if you need to make changes next year.

I usually file out the knock outs in back boxes to fit oval conduit with a round file. Again makes everything easier and you won't need a grommet.

Sponsored Links
The nails don't usually rust when plastered over.

I use galvanised clout nails either side of the conduit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back