Need advice on conduit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to plaster over a cable and found the capping method a pain before so I am leaning to the oval conduit.

The cable is a single 2.5mm twin and earth from a socket to an fused socket what sized conduit should I use i take it de-rating wont be too much of a factor as the fuse in limited to 13amp

Also as this conduit runs past the main gas entry into the house can I also run a 10mm earth in the conduit to get the mains bonding installed assuming the conduit is big enough?

Sponsored Links
You do not need to install the cables behind capping or in conduit, although it is preffered.

The capping or conduit is used to protect the cables from the plasterers trowle during rendering. If you are going to plaster it yourself, you know you will take care.

I would use 20mm oval for a single piece of 2.5mm T+E, and you would likely also get the 10mm earth in as well on a moderate run. You could jump to 25mm will ease - it's just a slightly wider chase.

You generally stop the oval conduit just before the metal back box, using a grommet at the entrance. With 20mm you can squeeze the oval into the knockout instead of using a grommet, but it can be done either way.

Are you aware of the safe zones you must use when running cables burried below the surface, and the relatively new requirements for RCD protection to cables buried in a wall?

Thats an awfully long post for a simple question :LOL:
You can tell I have not posted for a while! I miss the sun!

The oval conduit I can find is 22 or 29 thought the channel is quit wide already so might just get the 29.

Correct me if I'm wrong the safe zones are horizontal and vertical of accessories in which case I'm ok, Currently i don't have RCD installed but the consumer unit is being replaced soon!

An Additional question could you also run two 1.5 switch cables in an oval 29mm conduit ?

Sponsored Links
An Additional question could you also run two 1.5 switch cables in an oval 29mm conduit ?

Yes, you can get 2 in the small 22mm stuff as well.

4 sizes available- 13 /16 / 22 and 29 mm.

25mm was my bad :oops:

25mm was my bad
To be fair TLC call the 29mm wide oval conduit '25mm', the 22mm wide '20mm', the 16mm wide "16mm" and the 13mm wide "12mm". :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back