Outdoor Sockets + Conduit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm installing a couple of outdoor sockets and intend to run 20mm conduit between them.
However I have a couple of questions.

1) The sockets come with a rubber gland which fits into one of the knockouts and is sized to take a 20mm conduit. Because this is rubber the conduit feels a looser fit than it would with a plastic male or female adapter. I accept water may work it's way into the sockets in either case and they have drainage holes, however do people think the rubber grommets or a solid (fe)male adaptor are a better solution?

2) I've installed 20mm conduit previously to metal clad accessories and using round terminal boxes. In both of these cases I've used 20mm saddles to fix the conduit to the wall. With the outdoor sockets I find that the 20mm knockouts are spaced away from the wall leaving a gap of, I'd guess, 1cm behind the conduit. For plumbing pipe you can buy spacers which you fit behind space clips to space pipe out appropriately where needed however I can't find anything suitable for 20mm conduit? Through trial and error I've found if I stack 3 of the wall mounts on top of each other and then screw the saddle into the third, this gives the right spacing however feels a bit of a bodge (and a waste of saddles!) Is there a better solution?

Sponsored Links
I'm installing a couple of outdoor sockets and intend to run 20mm conduit between them.
However I have a couple of questions.

1) The sockets come with a rubber gland which fits into one of the knockouts and is sized to take a 20mm conduit. Because this is rubber the conduit feels a looser fit than it would with a plastic male or female adapter. I accept water may work it's way into the sockets in either case and they have drainage holes, however do people think the rubber grommets or a solid (fe)male adaptor are a better solution?

2) I've installed 20mm conduit previously to metal clad accessories and using round terminal boxes. In both of these cases I've used 20mm saddles to fix the conduit to the wall. With the outdoor sockets I find that the 20mm knockouts are spaced away from the wall leaving a gap of, I'd guess, 1cm behind the conduit. For plumbing pipe you can buy spacers which you fit behind space clips to space pipe out appropriately where needed however I can't find anything suitable for 20mm conduit? Through trial and error I've found if I stack 3 of the wall mounts on top of each other and then screw the saddle into the third, this gives the right spacing however feels a bit of a bodge (and a waste of saddles!) Is there a better solution?
Set the tube.

The obvious answer is to put a set on it (as mentioned). This will also be the most visually appealing solution.

Otherwise perhaps hospital/distance saddles rather than spacer bar saddles.

I assume we are talking plastic conduit and saddles ,If you have spare saddles double or treble the bases

Sponsored Links
I it's a longer run I t my be OK to just use standard saddles and accept the change of level.

With the outdoor sockets I find that the 20mm knockouts are spaced away from the wall leaving a gap of, I'd guess, 1cm behind the conduit.
What manufacturer/model are these sockets?

I've found this to be the case with a selection of outdoor products. B&Q used to do a range where the back was very heavily ribbed and the screw holes protruded too so that accounted for at least 6 or 7mm, the thick back another 2mm then allowing for a lock nut... they were well over 10mm probably nearer 15mm.
I also find the same is true for some adaptable boxes.

I accept water may work it's way into the sockets in either case

If the internal end of the conduit is in a warm room then condensation of water vapour being drawn along the conduit from the warm room to the cold external socket box has to be considered. An air tight seal in the conduit may be necessary.

If the internal end of the conduit is in a warm room then condensation of water vapour being drawn along the conduit from the warm room to the cold external socket box has to be considered. An air tight seal in the conduit may be necessary.
A drain hole in the low point would be more effective.

A drain hole in the low point would be more effective.

Yes of course a drain hole would be effective in getting rid of water, but a drain hole will not prevent moisture condensing on the cold metal parts of the socket and giving rise to leakage currents between the various parts of the socket, switch and terminals

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back