Conduit etc Installation Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this the place for this type of question but...

I want to fix some outdoor waterproof switches with 20mm conduit/spacer bar saddle's etc to steel girder posts of outdoor buildings.

This is the question, what sort of screws should I use to attach these or any advice on whats the best way. Self drilling screws would be nice but I doubt I could use those.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Maybe you could use spring clips to attach the conduit to the side of the gurder??

Also known as edge clips.

Other than that, self tap, or use self drillers. (you can remove the rear spacer bar, and just use the saddle with 2 screws when using self drillers if the head is too big).

Sponsored Links
Has a drill at the end before the thread, usually have hex head.

Use with your battery drill.

So many types on the market, thin sheet to thin sheet, thin sheet to 10mm section steel etc.

Lectrician said:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp;jsessionid=30GYG4FQEL2WLCJO2C4CIIQ?id=34188&ts=70343

It says uPVC but whats the chances of drilling into steel do you know? Would be the ideal screws I'm after.

Lectrician said:
Has a drill at the end before the thread, usually have hex head.

Use with your battery drill.

So many types on the market, thin sheet to thin sheet, thin sheet to 10mm section steel etc.
There ace, and the clips are good too, can get pretty much every type of clip from CEF :)

Darkness said:
Lectrician said:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp;jsessionid=30GYG4FQEL2WLCJO2C4CIIQ?id=34188&ts=70343

It says uPVC but whats the chances of drilling into steel do you know? Would be the ideal screws I'm after.

That link is for double glazing really, the rest are good.

The others are all steel ones, for gurders, purlins, sheet steel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back