Cable into the wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
l have a 2.5 cable running from ceiling to the skirting board where it goes into a socket.
l would like to chase it into the wall instead of having plastic trucking on the wall so what's the best method of getting a nice neat chase into the wall for the cable and what is best for putting or covering the cable in before plastering over....

Sponsored Links
wood chisel is good for chases..old one re-sharpened with a grinder will do..

no need to cover the cable.. just clip it in place with clips..

I use these a lot. Available from Screwfix. Strike a line with a spirit level and follow it with the edge of the chisel. Use it in a rotary stop drill.

both methods... well all methods really, rely on the plaster being sound..
if it sounds hollow and is not a dot 'n' dab or partition wall, then be prepared for a big patch job...

Sponsored Links
If it's lime plaster mark a line down the wall and then saw the plaster with a cheap tennon saw down to the brick, then chop it out.. this way half the plaster will not come down!

I never use mine on the plaster, only for the blocks behind, for that reason.

If you're chasing the cable, it might be nice to sink the socket in to the wall at the same time, rather than leaving it on the skirting board (in fact if it's an old type of socket then the regs might mean you can't leave it on the skirting board at all...)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back