Cable outdoors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening. I have an IP66 outdoor socket on the side of my house. To power a feature in the garden, i need to plug it in, but this will mean the cable is theoretically exposed to the public on public land, if i attach the cable to the side of my house, untill it gets to my perimitter fence where it can go into my garden. Can this be done legally or do i need to buy some metal tube conduate to put it in, along my wall?

Sponsored Links
Hi, how long is the cable run from the feature the socket?

Is the supply RCD protected ?

Regards,

DS

oooh, quick reply. the cable run would be around 6 meters, with 2 meters running along my public facing wall/side of house

Sponsored Links
If the cable is within your boundary and RCD protected i would not see any electrical issue with that. If the cable run is on a public walkway you would be liable if it caused an accident or injury.

Regards,

DS

I would think there will be a regulation somewhere prohibiting you from running a cable in a public area without written permission from the local authority, (at the least), and that all reasonable steps had been taken to ensure the publics safety. Being protected by an RCD would certainly not be deemed as "All reasonable precautions". It would probably have to be run through steel conduit, which would need to be totally enclosed and not able to have the cable accessed in any manner, in the public area.

If any of the qualified sparks on here know of such a rule/reg they will let you know what steps you have to take.

I would think there will be a regulation somewhere prohibiting you from running a cable in a public area without written permission from the local authority, (at the least), and that all reasonable steps had been taken to ensure the publics safety. Being protected by an RCD would certainly not be deemed as "All reasonable precautions". It would probably have to be run through steel conduit, which would need to be totally enclosed and not able to have the cable accessed in any manner, in the public area.

If any of the qualified sparks on here know of such a rule/reg they will let you know what steps you have to take.
And whatever steps you take, you'll be in the dock if a member of the public manages to injure themselves as a result of your cable or conduit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back