Cable outlet plates/back box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Fitting a wall mounted tv, and was planning to use some of those cable outlet plates with the brushes to push the power cord through and thread down to another outlet lower down the wall. However it’s just dawned on me that the back boxes (I’m using the drylining ones) wouldn’t have holes big enough to push a 3pin plug through.
So I guess I’m asking how do you normally fit a cable outlet/brush faceplate without a knockout box behind it?
Cheers
John

Sponsored Links
Make bigger holes in the dry lining box. Simples :D

Unless you're dealing with a right angle IEC mains connector, then you should be okay with a 25mm spade bit or a hole cutter of the same diameter. Even if you are dealing with a chunky IEC, you can always remove the captive mains plug and fit a standard 3 pin wireable instead. Other than that, your next largest cable end is HDMI. The plugs on that are captive. Next down the list is the RF and /or any satellite connections if the TV has Freesat built in.

When it comes to fitting the brush plate, leave the box out until you're ready for final fix. That, or cut the holes in the box, then thread the cable ends through before fitting the drylining box in place.

Incidentally, mains cable should be in a separate run rather than bundles with the AV cables. The general guidance is to leave a gap of 12" / 32cm between mains and AV leads that run parallel for 1m or more.

If this or any other reply was helpful to you, then do the decent thing and click the THANKS button. It appears when you hover the mouse pointer near the Quote Multi-quote buttons. This is the proper way to show your thanks for the time and help someone gave you.

Excellent, that all makes sense. I just wondered if I was missing a trick with some outlet that didn’t involve a knockout box but sounds like I’m not (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back