Cable routing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello, hope you can all help.

i need to get a new 10mm2 cable run from the CU to the kitchen to upgrade the existing 6mm2 old cooker point for a upgrade for cooker and hob.

the kitchen is being replaced and i can see the cable being run around the kitchen no problem, problem comes getting accross to the CU which is in a cupboard outside.

the cable can go through the kitchen wall up high but it has to bridge a (covered) porch in the the cupboard, the porch roof is wood btw.

can the cable be run like this? im guessing you cant have the cable showing, can it go in conduit, does it have to be metal?

i dont really want to get the porch ceilling ripped out to run the cable accross.

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
As all electrical work in kitchens is notifiable I would have thought that the registered electrician that you will be using for this work would know the answer?

Sponsored Links
so can anyone actually answer the question?

so i cant do the work myself, but id like to know.

how to safely run the cable, whats allowed, whats not.

which way does the original cable run? And check it for damage !!!!!

why would it be damaged?

the house is timer framed, brick outer wall. plasterboard walls etc.

so the cable will run inside the walls.

laminate floors upstairs, so going up is no good.

Damaged cable can be replaced !!!! Think about it :idea:

Yes, but not with a different size and you can't uprate the MCB, without notifying.

There is no rule about not having cable showing - that's purely aesthetics - though if you cover it up this can affect the current carrying capacity, depending on what/how/where you cover it.

Yes, but not with a different size and you can't uprate the MCB, without notifying.

There is no rule about not having cable showing - that's purely aesthetics - though if you cover it up this can affect the current carrying capacity, depending on what/how/where you cover it.

hi,

thanks for that, wasnt sure.

we are getting a leccy in now, as it not as straight forward as it was.

i take it the kitchen installation that you only thought about last night isn't going as well as you thought it would? :D

i take it the kitchen installation that you only thought about last night isn't going as well as you thought it would? :D

nope.... never does tho does it.. lol

not really my problem tho, im just trying to learn, so ask questions.

turns out somethings been leaking in the kitchen for a long time and has competely rotten out the floor, so its all had to be ripped up and going to be replaced... not what we wanted...!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back