Cable size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I am installing an electric shower. I am going to lay the cable and then get a spark to sign-off and do final connections.

I am just ordering the materials and after some guidence on the cable size from someone who had access to a copy to the 17th edition.

Shower: 10.5KW
Cable run: around 18m
Calculated current @ 230v: 45.6A

The cable will be run primarily in un-insuallted voids - such as the floor space etc but will be channelled into brick walls for around 2-3 meters.

I was intending on getting a 50Amp RCBO as the RCD side of my board is full. Or could I get away with a 45A RCBO?

In terms of switch - was going to get 45A cooker switch. I have not seen a 50A rated switch, other than a pull cord one and I don't want a pull cord. Will a 45A switch be ok?

In terms of cable - was going to use 10mm2. Is that suffiicient, or do I need to go to 16mm2?

Would really appreciate the advice.

Cheers

James

Sponsored Links
Thanks - realise it is done that way. I have used a spark before when I did my extension. He gave my a wiring diagram and specified the material etc to be used.

I am going to use this spark again, but would like to do some research on the circuit first so I can ensure his design is ok.

I am going to use this spark again, but would like to do some research on the circuit first so I can ensure his design is ok.
Sorry but 'Mmmmm....'

The way I look at it is that without seeing the job, its hard for anyone to say.

Daniel

Sponsored Links
........... would like to do some research on the circuit first so I can ensure his design is ok.

The electrician is going to sign a certificate to say that he has designed, installed and tested the circuit in accordance with BS7671. That what he does, that's his value, are you trying to catch him out.

If someone pulled that stunt on me I would walk off site and not come back.

PS I also hate customers who supply their own materials. There is always something wrong, or it is the incorrect spec. A sparky with a trade account will be able to get materials cheaper than you can.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back