Cable to Garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Long story short.

About 2 years ago I had a garage built, builder disappears once he put the roof on, Which was after he fixed the 63a CU to the wall and covered that with a bin bag to stop water getting in. Still at least the roof doesn't leak!

Anyway, he laid SWA cable from the house the 30 metres to the garage, the cable appears to be 4.0mm 3 core (OD is roughly 15mm). I want to have 4 internal double sockets, 2 single external, run a garage door motor and power lights in and out of the garage. I also want the ability to run garden lights in the future.

I want to do the donkey work to keep the costs down then have my mate do the legal bit. I would ask him advice but he is in Dubai working for the next 4 months.

Thank you in advance

Jim

Sponsored Links
To do the work legal will depend on when the plans were drawn up. I think 2004 is the last year you could design without Part P. And if you are restricted by Part P then you have to be very careful what you do without instruction from who ever is signing the paperwork.

Ignoring Part P then 30 meters 4mm cable then 20A will be around the maximum you can draw to keep within the volt drop. It would seem a lot of expense to fit a consumer unit in a garage for such a small supply and likely you would run a radial with sockets and a switched fused connection unit for lights to reduce supply available to lights to 3A. (Could use 5A but 3A fuses are more available.) However since you already have consumer unit may as well use it. However only the MCB supplying lights will really have any purpose.

A RCD can be fitted either on supply or in consumer unit which ever is easiest.

However since you are asking question I would assume not planned and the LABC charges are so high and if working in Dubai your mate is unlikely to be a member of any of the governing bodies and likely it will be cheaper to get a registered (Part P) electrician to do the work.

Also if you are going to use LABC route better to get all the work on same application as anything up to £2000 will be charged the same. Approx £100 plus vat in Wales no idea of London prices.

I think I'll wait for my mate to come home. He is an fully qualified Electrician by trade, but was offered a lot of money to do a little stint at his old job.

Jim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back