Cables in cavity....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not wishing to hijack sgtcrackers thread I would like to ask a question regarding cables in cavities.

I recently discovered that the drops to my downstairs ring main, (solid ground floor), are in the cavity between the inner and outer brickwork. We believe the house was rewired about 15 years ago shortly before we bought it. Does this mean I am potentially breaking the law?

Sponsored Links
Probably no more than finding a 100 year old corpse burried in your garden would make you guilty of murder. I doubt the act of discovering building work in your home that doesn't comply with current building regs makes you a criminal.

Liam

not the law as far as I know, but cables in cavities are not readily known to be there, so the sky man or whatever could put a drill trough it..
if it's not clipped it could bridge the void for moisture
it would also likely react with any insulation you had sprayed into it..

I very much doubt you are, the previous occupants electrican might have been though depending on when they did it and the exact interpretation of various bits of the building regs (not part P since that wouldn't have existed 15 years ago) may have been (but if they were they probablly did it too long ago for anyone to be able to do anything about it).

A far more important question is whether or not it is safe. Do you have cavity wall insulation? if so do you know what type?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies lads.

1/ If I found a 100 year old corpse in the garden the wife would be out like a shot!
(Hmmm,
conf40.gif

think I might dig the garden over at the weekend. :LOL: )

2/ Will not be spraying insulation in to it, read far too many horror stories about the stuff.

3/ The previous owner was an 'electrician', and I use the term very loosely believe me!

4/ Don't need cavity insulation in this house because it is quite warm even in the winter.

By the way, when I said breaking the law I didn't mean in a criminal sense, I meant in a 'not complying with regulations' sense.

Once again, thanks for your replies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back