Cables in insulation

Turn the breaker off at the consumer unit.
Attach a junction box to the loose end of the cable and secure the lid of the junction box.

Isn't that making it safe?

Cable should be disconnected at the CU, but i wouldn't advise it as a diy job

Sponsored Links
Why has all this talk of disconnecting cables in a safe way so that they can be left in place, unused, arisen?

I originally planned on making the cables safe and leaving them in place, in case I need to use them in future. But if I am to disconnect them at the CU now, I will probably also pull them out.

Just one last question, is there an issue with leaving the MCB in place after the cables have been disconnected and removed.

I plan on getting the whole electrics checked and get a safety cert once I'm done.

Sponsored Links
Ah - just spotted the bit about the shower and stair lift cables.

Quite honestly if they were safe under the floorboards when in use they will be just as safe when not in use, and on balance I'd say leaving them is safer than working inside a CU to disconnect and remove them, possibly disturbing other cables, if it's not the sort of thing you're familiar with.

If you're getting an electrician in ask him to remove them while he's doing the tests, it won't cost any more.

Nothing wrong with leaving the MCBs there - if you don't you'll have to pay for blanking inserts to be installed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back