Cables in screed floor for kitchen peninsula

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having a wall removed between kitchen and dining room so I need to re route some cables to a kitchen peninsula; I’ve extended the ring so I can feed the dishwasher and a socket in the peninsula and a fused spur to the garage (which was previously fed from the wall being removed)
I’ve chased the concrete floor and run the cables in an oval plastic conduit, but I’m not sure if this is good practice
Should the conduit run horizontally and then up on both sides? In this case I should probably use a round one and chase up to the wall
Also, should the conduit be covered in screed? The floor will be tiled

upload_2022-1-3_11-13-27.jpeg

There will be a tall unit on the wall so the socket you see will be inside the unit and will power oven and microwave (the oven is only 13A); I might run those cables in a round conduit to the socket or just leave them clipped to the surface

Sponsored Links
Oval conduit is fine.

Make sure all the cable is covered.

Where the horizontal bit becomes vertical, mitre both conduits so they meet reasonably well, and once the cables are in, tape the join up.

You could go to the trouble of messing around pvc round conduit, and proper bends and all that, but it's hardly worth it if you don't intend on ever re-wiring this.

If you do want to rewire this, you should use pvc round conduit with big sweeping bends (not inspection bends), and use one cable per conduit.

What you should consider at this stage is putting in additional cables for plinth lighting, and also an electric hob IF you think you may need one at some stage in the island.

My advice with this situation is to put at least double the amount of accessible tube in the floor for future work.
By accessible I mean being able to get to the ends for future additions/alterations/replacement. If it finishes under a unit then leaving the end exposed (as I assume you intend) is fine.
The chase doesn't NEED to be filled in its own right, only for stability of the floor covering

Last edited:
Oval conduit is fine.

Make sure all the cable is covered.

Where the horizontal bit becomes vertical, mitre both conduits so they meet reasonably well, and once the cables are in, tape the join up.

You could go to the trouble of messing around pvc round conduit, and proper bends and all that, but it's hardly worth it if you don't intend on ever re-wiring this.

If you do want to rewire this, you should use pvc round conduit with big sweeping bends (not inspection bends), and use one cable per conduit.

What you should consider at this stage is putting in additional cables for plinth lighting, and also an electric hob IF you think you may need one at some stage in the island.

The gas hob is on a wall run and if I ever change it to electric a new circuit can be easily be added
My advice with this situation is to put at least double the amount of accessible tube in the floor for future work.
By accessible I mean being able to get to the ends for future additions/alterations/replacement. If it finishes under a unit then leaving the end exposed (as I assume you intend) is fine.
The chase doesn't NEED to be filled in its own right, only for stability of the floor covering

can the end of the conduit be left exposed but under floor level as in the picture?

Sponsored Links
NO the end cannot be left exposed like that.
you "must" cover all the cable otherwise the concrete/screed you put down will rot the cable.
Chase it further towards the rear and add more conduit and a corner to bring it up.

can the end of the conduit be left exposed but under floor level as in the picture?
If that's under a unit, or something similar, yes it's fine... even better if the plinth or bottom shelf is removable for access for future works.

you "must" cover all the cable otherwise the concrete/screed you put down will rot the cable.
Chase it further towards the rear and add more conduit and a corner to bring it up.

I would only screed over the conduit

If that's under a unit, or something similar, yes it's fine... even better if the plinth or bottom shelf is removable for access for future works.
I hope we are at crossed purposes here. the cable should not be over covered with screed, I imagine the conduit in the image finishes under a unit where the chase will not filled.

I hope we are at crossed purposes here. the cable should not be over covered with screed, I imagine the conduit in the image finishes under a unit where the chase will not filled.

that was my intention
My doubt was whether I should leave exposed cable in the chase but outside of the conduit and below the floor surface under the unit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back