Cables under Floorboards on Ground Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, my first post.

On lifting the floor boards on my bungalow I have found that the joists are suspended over a concorete hard base. This void between joists and hard base seems to then be ventilated with air bricks both front and rear of the building.

My question is for running 2.5mm2 T&E - Is it acceptable for the cable to be just laid "loose" on the concorete flooring? And if not acceptable is placing the cable in plastic 20mm corrugated conduit an acceptable practice?

Unfortunatly the Electricians Guide to 17th Edition of the IEE wiring regulations and part P does seem to cover these points.

My plan for my cables was to come up from under the floor boards into oval plastic conduit behind the skirting board and buried in the wall upto the socket.

BTW, I'm going to be subject to a Building Regulation Inspection! . . . so I need to get this right!

Thanking you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Is it acceptable for the cable to be just laid "loose" on the concorete flooring?
It's fine.

BUT---- do you have cables there at the moment?

This little chap

housemouse.jpg

loves to chew on cables, so if there are none down there already, you don't know if you're safe from him.

Steel conduit would be sure to keep your cables safe from the above mentioned little Chaps, if they are a problem.

Sponsored Links
Rule of thumb for pest control is that if you can get your little finger through then it is an opening for mice.
You might like to be a bit more "global" in that if you want to insulate the floor, clipping the cable to the joists might create a problem.

I would clip the cables to the joists where possible to keep them off the concrete

and get a cat!

Mice can attack cables in any location, not just under floors, good practice to clip to joists but dont bust a gut over it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back