cabling through plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Im intending to dig out plaster to cable the house with multimedia cabling i.e network, coaxial and speaker cables. As i have never done this before, I wanted to know if there was anything special to watch out for or what would be the way you guys would complete this type of project.

I am also interested in a method that would allow me to in the future upgrade the cable or run new ones without digging out the plaster again.

Thank you very much for your help

Sponsored Links
watch out for existing mains wiring..

have the number of a good electrician handy in case you cut through a cable..

install plastic ( or steel if you have the tools and know how.. ) conduits rather than just capping over the wires.. ( cuts need to be deeper.. )

invest in an angle grinder with a diamond blade, lots of dust sheets, masks, and a cable / stud finder..

use a bolster to take the plaster off so you can see, hear and feel if you hit a mains cable capping..

if you're putting in single boxes, put in 2 conduits using both holes even if you're only using one now...

for doubles or twin boxes ( 2xsingles as one unit.. ) use 4 conduits...

stay clear of mains cables by at least 100mm... to prevent interference..

if you must cross mains cables do so at right angles..

stay away from transformers for 12V downlighting..

alternative to digging out the walls is to stud them out with 50x50 tinbers and plasterboard.. gives nice voids to drop cables down at future dates and might be easier given the patching and re-decorating you'll have to do anyway

Thanks alot coljack for your very helpfull comment, I should have said a bit more about whats currently going on.

My electrics are well away as I got the place rewired upon moving in am in the know to where everything is running, which is mainly coming under from one room running under the floorboards. Also knowing where the light wiring is running.

so the wall is my oyster lol, thanks for the info of an angle grinder, wasnt sure how to cut through. Would you say that I should just cut deep enough for the conduit to fit?

I have ordered this conduit upon taking your advice, let me what you think or if u know anywhere cheaper.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CO20.html

Also one last thing is, if in the future i want to upgrade the cables, is it a case of just tying a knot to the ends of the old and the new and then just pulling it through?

If theres anything else please dont hesitate to post

thanks once again

Sponsored Links
you can also run cables THAT ARE NOT POWER CABLES behind skirting.

easy if you pre-planned it and screwed the skirts to battens plugged to the wall

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back