Plastering over cable chases

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

I'm putting some lights on the wall in our bedroom. I have cut the cable chases and got some suitable capping. The cable chases are quite shallow in places (about 12mm perhaps), so there would only be about 2-3mm on top of the highest point of the capping when I'm ready to finish off.

Is this deep enough? The alternative would be to forget about the capping and just plaster directly over the cables - this would increase the depth of the plaster overall, but I'd prefer to use the capping to allow new cabling to be pulled through if it's ever needed.

Should I also prepare the area with PVA before plastering?

Apologies in advance for my ignorance - plastering isn't my forte :)

Sponsored Links
When I plaster over chases i use 50% bonding with 50% multi finish in the same mix.

The multi gives a smooth finish and also help the bonding to set quicker. The multi on its own is too heavy and you would be waiting till the pubs close before you could trowel bonding on its own to a smooth finish.

Yes defiantly apply a little pva, this will help suction and prevent the plaster from crazing (cracking due to shrinkage ) Be cautious NOT to get moisture into the electrics.

i just under fill it with bonding (prefrably old) so it sets quicker, then whack on some pollifilla to smooth finish should take like 2 hours mate, hope this helps

Sponsored Links
the purpose of the capping is to protect the cable from the clumsy plasterer and his razor-sharp trowel.

If you are doing it yourself, and filing in the chase slowly and carefully, you will presumably not be slicing into the cable. So you haven't got to use capping.

If you think you want to add more cables later, use oval plastic conduit. It is smaller and easier to plaster or fill round and less inclined to let the plaster crack.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back