Plastering over capped cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had the leckies in and they obviously hate cutting chases because the top of plastic capping that they've used is virtually flush with the existing plaster in most places. The depth of the capping below the plaster surface varies from about 0.5mm to about 3mm.

How deep does the plaster need to be over the capping to achieve a good plastered surface? Do I need to get the electricians back in before getting the plastering done?

Sponsored Links
½ mm is not enough to skim over, you need at least 3 or it’s very likely to crack & fall off. I generally allow at least 5mm & either skim with Multifinish if blending in or, which I prefer, initially skim out to the surrounding wall with Bonding plaster (it sticks to the capping better) & then re-skim the whole wall with Multi, then you will never see the join.

Many thanks for the reply - I also read elsewhere that PVA should be used to seal the area before bonding. Is it good practice to liberally paint a coat of PVA over the chased area to seal it before applying the bonding coat?

Sponsored Links
I also read elsewhere that PVA should be used to seal the area before bonding. Is it good practice to liberally paint a coat of PVA over the chased area to seal it before applying the bonding coat?
Yup; give it an initial strong coat (3:1) the day before & then a quick 5:1 & plaster when it goes tacky; don't over brush the capping or you’ll wash off the previous days bonding coat of PVA which helps the plaster stick to the surface of the capping.

Don't use Bonding plaster out to the surface if your only blending in the chase; it's a base coat plaster, very course & you wont get a decent enough finish on it to paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back