Cadent came knocking today - apparently I have to move my gas meter?!

Lpg heavier than air, natural gas lighter than air, iirc relative density?

Sponsored Links
If it always rises then the vent pipes need not be so tall. ?
because they are not vent pipes, they are flame off points should the gas need to be burned rather than vented, many times it is safer to burn the excess gas rather than release it to atmosphere, if they were just vents the ends would be open, the mushroom shaped parts are flame arrestors that allow the gas to be burned, with no risk of the flame getting back to the gas supply

Also comms engineers ( OpenReach etc ) are required to have gas alarms in place when working at a 18 inch deep inspection chamber even when the chamber is fully open to atmosphere.
Because gas is the same as everything, it is lazy and will always take the easiest path of resistance, ig Nat gas is leaking underground , it will not push up through Tarmac or concrete, it will trac along drains, water pipes , any ducts and rise at the easiest place, hence why anyone working in a drain, duct, inspecion hatch must have nat gas alarms or some way of checking before carrying out any work, it is not just comms engineers

must have nat gas alarms or some way of checking before carrying out any work, it is not just comms engineers

upload_2020-6-19_22-17-9.jpeg

Andy

Sponsored Links
when you look back @HERTS P&D , what a hard time those lads had, I grew up in a mining community, so know lots about it, some real hard barstewards in those days, wonder what they would think of this Black lifes matter crap, they were black for half of every day, I was only a young lad and went down to Wales to play Rugby, we had the pleasure of seeing Max Boyce and he sang this song , it has stuck with me for over 35 years

Last edited:
I had believed natural gas was heavier than air and thus would settle in the bottom of a trench. But no I am corrected.
But even so when gas mains are being replaced the safety vents for any gas leaking from the work are much higher than the road surface.

View attachment 196648

Also comms engineers ( OpenReach etc ) are required to have gas alarms in place when working at a 18 inch deep inspection chamber even when the chamber is fully open to atmosphere.

Vents are probably that high to prevent accidental ignition when the main is being purged. If it goes wrong the results can be catastrophic, SGN's Engineers were badly hurt in this incident.
Whit gas leak.jpg

Do you know which gases the Comms Engineers are checking for? We monitor for 3 when working with sewage, Methane, Hydrogen Sulphide and Oxygen. H2S is heavier than air, and can also be explosive when mixed with air, methane is obviously explosive and wont support life in too high a concentration and an oxygen rich atmosphere can be dangerous.

You can't have plastic gas pipe in your garage and I don't believe you can have it under the floor of your garage and rising up to an internal meter.

You can't have plastic gas pipe in your garage and I don't believe you can have it under the floor of your garage and rising up to an internal meter.
Correct, and as it is a mains and service renewal program he wont be able to have an internal meter either

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back