Oh Cadent...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Were about to start a large extension and have contacted both UKPN and cadent about relocating our meters to outside the house so we can demolish the existing side of the house and extend. UKPN were great surveyor came out and was so helpful even saved me some £££ from his survey.

Cadent on the other hand have been useless.(Shock!!!) My Gas meter currently resides in our garage, the supply come up from the ground outside the garage wall before coming through the single skin wall and into the garage. Ive contacted Cadent about relocating the meter to an outside Meter box which will be mounted on the side of the new extension. Where this supply comes out the ground I asked for the meter box to be located here. On conversations with Cadent today they've quoted me £764+Vat to do this work without even coming out to see site. I asked for a surveyor to come out on site and take a look as I dont think the lady on the other end of the phone understood what i was explaining to which i was told the surveyor only comes out once ive paid.

Does that seem a good price or are Cadent having me over? They have said I can use there preapproved Contractors list to which they also told me they wont want to do the work as its a small works job.

Some advice am I best to have a call around and see if I can get a contractor to do it or do I go with Cadents price?

Ive attached pictures of the current gas entry where I require the new Gas box and current gas meter the other side of the wall
Gas Meter.jpg
Gas Meter2.jpg

Sponsored Links
It's a standard price for this type of job

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
If you have the Cadent supplied approved contract numbers, why would you not call them?

You could also point out to Cadent that you have two flexible connectors with no meter jig / bracket, which is not allowed.

You could also point out to Cadent that you have two flexible connectors with no meter jig / bracket, which is not allowed.
Which bit is not allowed, the meter not stable and secure? The 2 flexible connectors relate to the meter installation, which there is only one. Also, is the meter Cadent’s responsibility?

Sponsored Links
Which bit is not allowed, the meter not stable and secure? The 2 flexible connectors relate to the meter installation, which there is only one. Also, is the meter Cadent’s responsibility?

The interpretations regarding 2 x flexes are numerous. The generally held belief is that it is not allowed. However, the meter installation stops at the meter outlet and, last time looked, the regs referred to just that. So, 2 x flexes are not barred, IMO. There is no legal reason why a meter has to be bracketed, as far as I can see - and certainly 6 years ago we were allowed on Cadent to not use a screwed down bracket - BUT there is also a rule, and I (must confess) don't exactly know where this is written, that you cannot use NO bracket plus 2 x flexes, for security reasons. The initiated will understand to what I refer.

SGN moved mine for free. Can you borrow a granny and tell them she cant read the meter cos its not safe/accessible?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back