Older gas meter placement and location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a 1850’s mansion block in a basement flat. Yesterday the mgmt company did an inspection and said one of the meters was leaking. He called out Cadent who identified the leak on my neighbours meter and repaired it.

The mgmt company have now advised that the non demised meters are checked by each flat owner for safety.

Question1
Who do I call to check the meter is safe. Is this something Cadent do?

Also I don’t know how old these meters are and whether this is relevant. There are two meters, bottom one mine top one neighbours opposite.

They are situated inside a wooden cupboard outside my flat front door. On the other side of the cupboard is a fire door beyond which the electricity meters are situated and then a door to outside, but this doesn’t allow access to the street.

To the other side of my door are the stairs up to the building lobby and opposite my door is the neighbours front door.

Question 2
Given that Cadent attended yesterday and said nothing about the meter locations. What are the chances of them coming back to check and advising their location needs to be moved.

Any advice gratefully received.

Pics attached

Attachments

• IMG_1356.jpeg
    IMG_1356.jpeg
    471.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_9041.jpeg
    IMG_9041.jpeg
    127.9 KB · Views: 34
Sponsored Links
1. I am not a lawyers, but assuming that "non-demised" means in a communal space, not in your property, then I imagine the responsibility is that of the freeholder, presumably a responsibility exercised by the management company.
2. On the input side of every gas meter there should be an Emergency Control Valve (ECV). A lever about 200 mm long attached to a square spindle. This can be used to turn the gas off in an emergency.
3. Any Gas Safe qualified engineer can test for the soundness of the gas system after the ECV. This is done by conducting:
3.1 A "let by" test to ensure the ECV is not letting gas past while in the off position.
3.2 A "tightness" test to ensure that gas is not escaping through the pipework or appliances between the meter and appliances in your property.
3.3 To conduct both tests should take no longer than 15 minutes. Any necessary remedial action will take longer.
3.4 Occasionally the Gas Safe Engineer might find a problem with the meter (or the regulator attached to it). In this case the transporter is required to correct the fault, usually by replacing the meter.
4. Any leak at or before the ECV requires the gas transporter (in your case Cadent) to determine and rectify any problem.
5. It would seem sensible, no matter who is responsible, to have the meters checked, perhaps annually. You might wish to see if your neighbour would share the cost.
6. If either of you are tenants, the landlord must, by law, have an annual inspection done. This might be a suitable time to get both meters checked.
7. You are both entitled to access your ECV at any time, so the door to the meter cupboard must be kept unlocked.
8. I think it unlikely Cadent could make you have the meters moved, but obviously can't guarantee it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back