Gas meters in communal areas - flats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently got new gas connections for a block of flats but I'm having some problems getting the meters installed.

The meter location is under the stairs protected by a FD30 fire door/fire boarding but have been told by the meter installer that the meters cannot be installed there as the building has only one means of escape, and to look at IGE/G/5 for guidance.

Cannot find a copy of IGE/G/5 as nobody seems to stock it anymore. Can anyone offer any advice please?

1. If I get the gas transporter to move it away from the stairs and into another cupboard will that solve the problem?

2. Or is it because the door opens to the communal area - could I install another door/build a cupboard to make a lobby between the meters/common area?

3. Do both of these

4. Cannot be installed in the common parts at all (even in a separate room/cupboard) and needs to be on the outside or in each flat

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the link but that's just the contents pages. It does confirm there's something in there though... 5.2.2 Siting meters with respect to common escape routes pg 28.

Sponsored Links
The gas transporter did carry out a survey before and didn't mention any problems. However there is a clause in the quote saying that it's been assumed the design meets all the latest standards but I'm hoping they will accept the costs if it needs to be altered.

It would be better for everyone though if it can meet the required standards without too many changes as the cupboard is the ideal location for routing the pipes.

If it's a new supply you're stuffed. If it's a replacement, you might be able to augment the cupboard.

But ultimately, you'll need to buy the documents or engage a contractor who has to get all the ins and outs.

Thought so. Thanks for the advice. I'll see if they're going to charge me for moving it.

OP, if you want the best advice the you will need to give us ALL the information.

If this is a new block of flats and this is the first gas connection then surely it is up to the architect/builders/developers to provide an acceptable location for the gas meters?

Sorry was keeping it short and sweet.

It's an existing block of 3 flats (3 floors) - quite a new conversion so meets the latest building regs i.e. compartmentation/lobbies/fire doors etc but with only one escape route/stair. No gas previously, now has the ECV's and pipes but no meters. Using immersion heaters currently and was trying to get individual supplies/boilers for each flat

Naivety on my part for assuming that the fire protection in the under stairs cupboard would be sufficient.

So a detached block of three flats?

You say it has "pipes" and ECVs. So there is a gas supply into the space then? And the problem is that the supplier ( correctly ) will not fit meters under the stairs because it is the only escape route.

Does this understairs have an external wall?

It might be possible to have the meters on the outside if that is the case.

Tony

It's Semi detached & yes to all questions. That's a good idea - the other-side of the under stairs cupboard is a public road (no pavement) however I could install recessed meter boxes.

So I will need to contact the gas transporter to move the ECV's to these meter boxes, then the supplier to install the meters?

View media item 7761
These messes are on a public road although the pavement is very wide at this point.

Normally the gas transporter supplies and fits the meter boxes.

You could probably use wall recessed meter boxs. But special precautions need to be taken with the connections back into the building.

Tony

Thank you for your help everyone. Going to get the gas transporter to move the ECV's to outside of the under stairs cupboard - in recessed meter boxes.

Re precautions: I'll make sure the gas fitter is aware that there will be additional requirements to meet.

Hopefully it will look a bit better than the above picture! Didn't think they would allow them to stick out onto the highway at all.

Thanks again.

Although part of the pavement, it is possible the pictured meters are actually on land owned within the building curtilage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back