No gas to property, need meter.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Anyone know of the procedure for having a gas meter installed where there is currently no gas to the property?

By chance 2 jobs have come up at the same time with the same problem, one in a 4 storey block of flats (8 flats in total), and one in a 1st floor conversion, where at some point in the past the gas to the property has been removed at a previous owners request.

Current residents DO have gas supplies to their buildings, but no gas/meter supplying their property. The meters in both cases could just be installed in the old meter boxes as they are both still extant.

One of these people has contacted BG, but they were told to ask Transco. When they asked Transco they were told to contact a gas supplier!

Any help appreciated

Paul

Sponsored Links
The homeowner has to decide who they want to buy the gas off (the supplier) then they contact the supplier and ask for a supply to be laid on. They then get NG to call and price the job then do it.

I think minimum charge is about £500 for a typical terrace house front garden, about 3 metres :eek:

Sponsored Links
In these cases the supply pipes are there already, just capped off where there would normally be a meter.

I'm sure it will still be expensive though.

Ng have gotta make a few quid after all!

OK, so I get them to decide on a supplier, the supplier then begins to supply them, then they ring Transco and the meter is installed by them?

ACOperson said:
In these cases the supply pipes are there already, just capped off where there would normally be a meter.

I'm sure it will still be expensive though.

Ng have gotta make a few quid after all!

OK, so I get them to decide on a supplier, the supplier then begins to supply them, then they ring Transco and the meter is installed by them?

Exactly ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back