Economy 7 heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've a problem with the e7 heating in my flat. Recently there was a power cut in Manchester which may have resulted in my immersion heater and storage heaters no longer coming on during the night on the e7 tariff. There is no hot water in the morning, but plenty in the late afternoon. The storage heaters are also too warm in the evenings and cold in the mornings. I've had a good look for a e7 timer in my flat but there is nothing there only the fuse box. I've contacted the management company of the building and they have no knowledge of any timers or controls for the e7 system. They maintain that there are only two meters. Surely this cannot be right and there must be a communal meter. Another bit of info is that the communal areas within the building are also heated by e7 storage heaters. These are also very warm in the evening and not so early in the morning. It seems that the time for which the power cut lasted has been added to the e7 timer clock. My problem is where is it likely to be? Can someone help

Sponsored Links
please post photos of your meters, consumer units, and the cables between them, and any unidentified electrical apparatus nearby.

John D. Unfortunately the meters are communal and under lock and key. I have no access to them whatsoever. The only things I can see are a fuse box one for off peak, one for on peak and wires leading to two wall switches for the top and bottom immersion heaters.

However, there is a 5A fuse on the on peak fuse box labelled off peak control. There is no control box.

If it would help I can take photos of the fuse boxes.

I have contacted the electrical company and apparently my meter is controlled via a teleswitch (between day and night rates). However, since the power cut the immersion and storage heaters now come on at 7 a.m. and heat up all day and go off during the night. What's wrong?

Is the teleswitch broken or is it the relay switch?

Sponsored Links
I have contacted the electrical company and apparently my meter is controlled via a teleswitch (between day and night rates). However, since the power cut the immersion and storage heaters now come on at 7 a.m. and heat up all day and go off during the night. What's wrong?
It's out of synch. Your power company is responsible for putting this right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back