Economy 7 immersion problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I hope some can offer some advice, I have bought a flat that has an old looking water heater system on economy 7. There is no hot water from the ovr night e7 switch on. However when I press the 1hour boost,I can hear the immersion heating as it sounds like a kettle. But e boost will only stay on for about 10 minutes or so and then the light goes off, so it would seem that power is getting to the element but we have no hot water. If I keep pressing the boost after it goes of I get a little Luke warm water but nothing you could use.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Have you left the bottom element switched on over night ? is there a timer of any kind ? any chance of a picture (of the cylinder/immersion controls)

The switch says timer or off, so I left it on timer, the dial only allows me to set the current time of day so im guessing the actually timer is inside the control unit.

I will try to send a photo, im wondering if for some reason the water supply to the water tank has been turned off, and this may be why the booster is switching off so quickly.

Is this a possibility?

The immersion would melt itself if there was no water in the cylinder, if you cant post up a pic make and model of the timer would be helpful.

Sponsored Links
First thing you gotta do is set the right time, then switch it to timer and tomorrow morning you should have hot water, if not post back and we will go from there, have you tried to see if there is (cold)water coming out of the hot tap?

sorry for the confusion this is an old picture of it, the time is correct the switch is set to timer, and the water is not hot at all in the morning. and as I said even when I try the 1hour boost it only stays on for about ten minutes and then the light goes off.

In that case you need a multimeter and have some idea of how to use it.

I have basic electronics skills and know how a multimetre works,

What am I specifically looking for?

Continuity across the thermostat and about 19 ohms across the live and neutral on the element , make sure everything is safely isolated, if the top element is only staying on for 10 minutes I would reckon the stat is faulty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back