Eco 7 Immersion heater problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an immersion heater for hot water on economy 7 with a separate supply for 'normal' and eco 7.

A few days ago I realised I didn't have any hot water so the bottom element hadn't come on overnight. I checked the consumer unit and that circuit had tripped, so I turned it back on. It then worked for that night but hasn't worked since (but hasn't tripped out again). I have checked tonight at the consumer unit and the overnight circuits for the storage heaters are coming on at about 10.30pm, but the immersion circuit isn't, despite being turned on.

The 'boost' function on the top element on the day supply works as normal.

Could this just be a duff thermostat on the bottom element or is it more likely something else?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Could be the element, the wiring, the thermostat, the isolator switch... You will need to do some investigating/testing, or call an electrician to find the fault. If it tripped the MCB, the thermostat is the least likely suspect.

I agree. Old & faulty thermostats often develop short circuits and often you can smell electrical burning type odor from them, however the currents involved are usually too small to trip the MCB. My guess based on information provided would be wiring/isolator switch. You need to get testing with that multimeter :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back