Please help - immersion heater problem!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, hope someone can help me! I have a Direct Super7 immersion heater with Horstmann economy 7 seven timer. Couple of days ago I noticed we had no hot water, checked the heater and it had blown the main fuse in the consumer unit. I replaced the fuse then rather than wait until 1am to see if it started working I changed the timer to see if it would come on. The unit kicked in and I could hear gurgling and rumblings from the immersion tank so assumed it was working, I left it on for about 3 hours just to see if it would blow the fuse again or stop working but it was still gurgling away so I reset the timer and thought all was good and dandy. I also checked the boost and that seemed to work too. However, next day we have no hot water again. I reset the thermostat on the bottom element and I know that the timer is working ok because our storage heaters are coming on when they are supposed to. The whole system is only 4 years old. Is it likely to be the heater element or the thermostat, or am I missing something completely??? The boost heater element is working fine. Any ideas would be gratefully received. Please be gentle though, I am a competent diyer but know nothing about immersion heaters/electrics other than what I have learnt from forums like this so technical answers might go straight over my head!!
Thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back