Economy 7 Immersion and cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I have an Economy 7 immersion and cylinder.

I have hot water Thursday to Sunday but then Monday to Wednesday its lukewarm. I'm trying to get to the bottom of it without changing the system but struggling somewhat.

Should I have a control unit somewhere? I've got a boost control in the kitchen but cant find anything that allows me to change or view the E7 settings.

The unit is about 15 years old

Thanks
M

Sponsored Links
Round dial about 50mm diameter with pegs around the outside face anywhere?

show us a photo of the cylinder please (including the various cables going into it) and whatever controls you have

If you are out at work some days, and at home others, I suspect you are using up the stored hot water because you are at home. There is probably a way to overrride or adjust it.

Do you have baths? Or showers?

Thanks for your replies.

I'll send a pic tonight.

This is always first thing on a morning so after it doing its thing overnight the scenario is as in the opening post. Lukwarm Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday morning. Hot Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday morning.

The overrride is the boost button i think but i shouldn't need it first thing on a morning.

Lukewarm showers at 630am are no fun :)

Sponsored Links
Ok, this is what I have

7AD9A230-494C-4F4D-B71A-A89993E4035A.jpeg
A09798C3-B832-4D0A-BF2B-A45F9F9AE1AE.jpeg
05AE0581-7103-459D-A95E-31ACAFD5D7BD.jpeg
57EEF170-4535-4B19-B8A7-B4C2862A067C.jpeg

So
This morning I did have hot water so god knows whats going on :?:

The mains immersion element will be hard wired into the consumer unit (through a fused switch I would hope) and that part of the unit will only become active during the economy 7 periods, automatically turning the main element on. The boost will be powered from the normal side of the supply, through that boost control to allow a manual override.

If you still have issues I'd recommend an electrician check the supply and connections

You have only shown us the boost controller.

2.JPG

This would normally be connected to just one of the immersion heaters and should work at anytime. So that when you press the button, each time you do so, the 'on' time should increase by incrementing one light up the scale each time it is pressed. Do the light operate, and if set to 60 minutes does the hot water heat up?

Normally the other element should be connected to a timed electrical supply that is only 'on' at the same time as a cheaper electricity tariff (eg economy 7) is available. There are two common ways of achieving this:

The first way is by having a separate timer for the 'off peak' immersion heater control. That looks something like this:

Capture.JPG

The second way is instead of having a timer the element is connected to a distribution board (fusebox) that is only live during the 'off peak' tariff. This is the usual option where the property has electric storage radiators so there will be no other controls available. If this is the case, then a check of the fuse / circuit breaker for the immersion heater would be a good start.

Looking at your immersion heaters they do look quite elderly, and as they are resistance heating elements, they do have quite a short lifespan if used regularly, also their internal thermostats can fail, or if fitted, their overheat trips can operate. Immersion heaters can be tested quite easily by someone electrically competent.

You have only shown us the boost controller.

Thats all I can find anywhere. Thats in the kitchen.

I do have a dimplex control panel but i think thats for the wall heaters

The second way is instead of having a timer the element is connected to a distribution board (fusebox) that is only live during the 'off peak' tariff. This is the usual option where the property has electric storage radiators so there will be no other controls available. If this is the case, then a check of the fuse / circuit breaker for the immersion heater would be a good start.

I think this is the case.

Strange that its ok some days then not on others.

Right

so now I know the economy 7 is working overnight as I’ve checked. it’s kicking in and heating water. The water is hot in the top part of the cylinder. Also, if I try the boost it kicks in and works for the specified time.

.........then it comes through the taps red hot for about 5 seconds then lukewarm

long and short, the heating function is working but then something ain’t right from the cylinder to the taps.

If it works for half the week and not the other half then it must have to do with your supply. An Economy 7 meter switches over automatically and feeds a different part of your fuse box (CU) during the set time period, usually 7 hours overnight, and that's the part of the CU where your main immersion element will be wired into.

It is all controlled by the meter, so if it's not working some days but it is others then I'd be getting your supplier in to have a look at their part of the system 1st of all.

If it works for half the week and not the other half then it must have to do with your supply. An Economy 7 meter switches over automatically and feeds a different part of your fuse box (CU) during the set time period, usually 7 hours overnight, and that's the part of the CU where your main immersion element will be wired into.

It is all controlled by the meter, so if it's not working some days but it is others then I'd be getting your supplier in to have a look at their part of the system 1st of all.

it’s been pretty random tbh. Since my OP saying I had it hot Thursday to Sunday but then Monday to Wednesday lukewarm I’ve had hot water on a Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday then lukewarm Saturday, Sunday, Monday and today.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back