Frustrating immersion problem!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly id like to say hello as this is my first post here, so hello!

I'll start by saying I have a basic understanding of electrics and plumbing, so bear with me!

Right, here's my problem. I have moved in to a flat with the better half, but she's ready to ring my neck as we are struggling to get enough hot water to half fill our bath. we are on an electric only layout with storage heaters and an immersion tank for hot water, all eun on economy 7. Now the immersion comes on in the early hours, but come bath time (8am ish) we have enough hot water to get roughly a quarter of a bath of nice hot water, but then nothing but cold for the rest of thw day. I've had a neb around and can't find a boost button for the immersion, just a switch in the kitchen labelled water heater, but that only functions on the economy 7 hours, which is proving to be a real thorn in our sides.

What am I doing wrong, or is their ant way to add a boost, or bypass economy 7 for the immersion?

Any help will be massively appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Is there an "Economy 7" controller?
Maybe change it for one with a "button". I've never seen one without.

Do you have two immersion heaters fitted in the hot water cylinder?

It is not unusual for two to be fitted, one near the bottom, and one near the top, with a selector switch to choose which one heats the water.

The idea is the lower immersion heats the whole cylinder overnight so there's enough for bathing, and the upper one heats a relatively small quantity of water, enough to do the washing up etc, relatively quickly.

The upper immersion is sometimes wired so it is available 24/7, but only runs at the higher tariff. others may have a manual switch to select which heater runs at the cheap rate overnight.

If the lower element has failed for any reason, you will still have some hot water, but not enough for bathing. You may also be paying a higher rate for the privelege of not having a usable bath.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back