Fitting new gas meter box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mum has oil central heating in her bungalow but we have recently arranged for a new gas supply to be run to the house from the street in readiness for replacing the old boiler with a gas Combi CH boiler.
I wasn't there when Cadent visited the house but they suggested if I could fit the new recessed ventilated gas meter box it would save us money.
They also said it would be cheaper if the CH installer ran the gas pipe from the meter along the outside wall of the house roughly inline with the DPC to the kitchen where the new Combi would be going.
Would that pipe have to be 22mm steel or copper, enclosed / protected, bright yellow due to its location outside and proximity to the ground. What are the Building Regs for such pipes ?
Although it would probably be cheaper run outside I don't want it looking a mess and might consider making provision for an internal pipe to be run when I put the meter box in.
If it is run outside I assume the gas feed from the street comes up close to the wall and into the meter box and the supply to the boiler comes out of the box close to the wall rather than running inside the cavity ? Has the recessed box got knockouts for the pipes in the non recessed part or do holes need drilling for them ?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back