How to get Gas supply from cavity meter box into house?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have a gas meter that is inside my house, i wish to move it to a recessed meter box in the cavity and have had northern gas quote for this and have a builder that will fit the box. What i can't get my head around is how then does the gas supply get into the house once the meter has been moved?

I know that the main supply comes in the meter box from along the outside of the wall of the property but does the internal pipework then go into the house down through the cavity then under the floor? Or does it have to come out the back of the meter box straight through the brick wall and then down the inside wall of the house (unsightly)?

I'll be getting the Gas safe registered folk to do everything but before i ask any of them i want to try and get it clear in my head as to how it works

Sponsored Links
They can not run a gas pipe down a cavity. Only the shortest possible route (ie straight through the back of the meter box - as long as its suitably sleeved+sealed)

However you might be better suited getting an on the wall meter box or leaving enough of the cavity box exposed to drop the gas pipe down out the box on the outside then down+into the house under the floor.

Has to be a recessed box as my house is right on the street so a surface box was ruled out due to it being an obstruction. So if the pipework has to come out the back and into the house down the inside wall, can this be done in 15mm pipe? which is easier to channel into the wall or conceal in plaster work

That can only be determined by your Gas Installer as the pipe size is determined by the appliances/gas pipe routing in your house.

Also I dont belive your allowed to plaster a gas pipe into an internal wall. But Its been a while since I done my ACS and I dont do installs or gas pipe work anymore so best wait for someone else to advise on that.

Sponsored Links
You can have a recessed box fitted to wall and have gas pipe drop through bottom box outside, like main gas inlet, like this picture, then down to bottom and through wall.

Daniel.

Thing is my house is on a hill so the pipe would need to come in above ground a little bit at some point even if it went outside then in. As long as it is ok to have it channelled into the brickwork enough so that it can be plastered over and out of sight that is the main thing.

The pipe and sleeve has to go right through the wall, it can't stop before it comes out the other side.

And if your talking boiler. cooker etc it will be 22mm possibly bigger depending on distance and load.

Ah right, thanks, so it could still be chased into the brickwork on the inside of the front room wall then wrapped in tape and plastered over so it is not sticking out like a sore thumb

Er no, not exactly!

But your gas reg will hopefully know how it can be dealt with.

You may not be pleased with what he tells you!

Tony

If you hate the sight of gas carrying equipment that much then just do away with it and use an alternative form of energy.

The gas pipe certinally can not go in a cavity, however if it's installed behind plaster boards it has to be sleaved and with a continual adisive around the pipe so it is totally sealed.

There are some different opinions on this, but that's basically it.

The gas pipe certinally can not go in a cavity, however if it's installed behind plaster boards it has to be sleaved and with a continual adisive around the pipe so it is totally sealed.

There are some different opinions on this, but that's basically it.

So you say but it still has to sleeved all the way through the wall first then back in if you want to hide it in the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back